*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

Postby Bwrgarbl on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm

AvovA17 wrote:
Bwrgarbl wrote:I was kind of surprised with everyone taking the corrosion options over Quest items.

Corrosion is a good way to deal with the Shade. Once you corrode it sufficiently, it will drop to pisorf/fireballs due to very low health. You can even blow all your mana potions on this, since the Dragon boss has retaliate:fireball.

That's why I picked corrosion + Dracul: it makes the boss battles obvious. Corrode the shade, and drop all mana refills on the shade, then use all red potions + Dracul on the Dragon. Not much thinking required.

If PISORF shows up, you have a safe weapon to use against the Dragon, so you can reserve blue for that too. Although you shouldn't always avoid fireballing the Dragon... it's not that bad.

If you're going to fireball the Shade, then you've give up your blackspace advantage from taking the mace. I've lost runs because the Shade teleported into a single available square of blackspace I didn't see in the corner.

It's better to plan to knock corroded monsters into the Shade with a mace + corrosion prep. PISORF actually makes that even better. Animated armours are great for this... so many hits, and their damage isn't great.

By taking JJ I knew I could steamroll him without spending any red or blue. The Dragon can't stand up to all the resources by itself.
Bwrgarbl

Postby Bwrgarbl on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:48 am

* Gnome Bloodmage in Western Jungle *

So, really twinky race class combo. This is a level particularly suited to the Bloodmage... lots of inaccessible blackspace you can draw on to level. Lots of power to take out the boss with spells and/or melee. All this and a MA to Taurog conversion, with Alchemy pact on all those potions. I look forward to seeing what the big XPers can do here... my early top bar of 279 is probably a lot lower than the max.
Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:42 am

Gnome Monk in The Slime Pit

Not hard since Martyr Wraps and Bear Mace are available as preps.
Let's see if anybody can do it without the wraps though.
EDIT: woohoo, DBeatch won.

For me the real difficulty was to keep SMM alive until the Goo boss dies. I got feeling parched too.
AvovA17

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 pm

AvovA17 wrote:Gnome Monk in The Slime Pit

Not hard since Martyr Wraps and Bear Mace are available as preps.
Let's see if anybody can do it without the wraps though.
EDIT: woohoo, DBeatch won.

I wonder what people who did not prep Martyr wraps did there.
If I remember correctly, there was no APHEELSIK.
Maybe stacking TT's poison, then converting out + buying the poisoned dagger?
It is hard to dish out a lot of damage with a monk on this map with all the cursing/corroding/weakening monsters.
Last edited by AvovA17 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AvovA17

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Elf Chemist in Hexx Ruins

Ah, this one was fun. I demand my "played with the Avatar's codex and did not die a stupid death" badge.
Had to play slow due to the revenants and the retaliate:Fireball.
AvovA17

Postby Bwrgarbl on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:19 pm

AvovA17 wrote:Gnome Monk in The Slime Pit

All the cursing/corroding/weakening monsters were the reason I took the RBS. It makes Goo blobs into good targets to help avoid all that. And I pretty much did. I mean, you really don't want to get involved with the weakening zombies, and the other two do magic damage, so even though you might consider taking out a couple of them, they are never going to be your leveling targets. You're really looking at the other monsters and trying to hunt big game to keep the meat men fresh longer.

But as for not take the Martyr wraps? SMM is easily regen fightable with 50% resist, double regen, and fireballs. It just takes more blackspace without the geometric damage. Tower of Goo was never a concern for a gnome.

AvovA17 wrote:Elf Chemist in Hexx Ruins

Ah, this one was fun. I demand my "played with the Avatar's codex and did not die a stupid death" badge.
Had to play slow due to the revenants and the retaliate:Fireball.

Those were the two reasons I didn't take it.

EDIT: Noticed you took MA. Unusual for a Chemist.

Spoiler: show
MA was also available with the conjunction prep... and I used her, and got the "Remember not to take Mystic Balance as a Chemist" badge. Just bought some mana and refresh (which I used on B2P to finish off Goo, after running my HPs through it). The I switched to TT, because that was the cleanup phase, and I wanted to level fast so I could easily get rid of a couple of huge revenants chasing me without having to spend anything (and getting in the way of my options). This seems to have been enough to put me high enough to still have the top XP... even though I screwed up and forgot to buy Alchemist pact to run all my potions through. So I'll be upset if someone doesn't beat me by at least 30XP.
Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 am

Bwrgarbl wrote:Those were the two reasons I didn't take it.

Well, I had no idea she would be available. Chemist really needs a late-game-refills god like Mystera, Dracul or GG.
Otherwise how are you going to make sure you have enough resources to kill both bosses with some resources to spare just in case to account for possible errors? That's why the death rate is so high for chemists.
Imagine the gods were Taurog, PM, Binlor. Very easy to not have enough resources in the end. You would have to guarantee at least 1 levelup during the boss fight, but you cannot do that with Stheno reliably. Dragon Soul is good during the run, but much weaker than Refreshment during the boss battle.

My strategy was: mine MA piety, get extra mana points from her, and refreshment. Save at least 1 health potion and some blackspace for the Stheno fight. In the end I had 1-3 glyphs left for conversion, and all my mana potions still intact.
I mostly used health potions during the run to deal with revenant poisoning when I could not ding.

I honestly have no idea why everybody picked Dragon Soul, and almost nobody picked Mystera. Can somebody enlighten me? What was your strategy and how did you arrive at that decision? I am just surprised I am often the only one prepping certain items. Like a few days ago I was almost the only one prepping Dracul, for example.
Last edited by AvovA17 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AvovA17

Postby AvovA17 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:10 am

Goatperson in Halls of Steel

It is fairly easy. Unless you never played a goat.

Spoiler: show
BURNDAYRAZ and WONAFYT right at the start. Prep all 1-4 levels as popcorn.

I spammed LEMMISI to find the soul orb and both bosses quickly. In the end I had enough resources to dish out
easily 700-800 points of damage (approx, maybe more), and the final boss only had 380hp.

Phew. Every goat is a big scare for me. What is that strategy for exploring while starving?
Intuitively it should not work.
AvovA17

Postby Bwrgarbl on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:52 pm

AvovA17 wrote:
Bwrgarbl wrote:Those were the two reasons I didn't take it.

Well, I had no idea she would be available. Chemist really needs a late-game-refills god like Mystera, Dracul or GG.
Otherwise how are you going to make sure you have enough resources to kill both bosses with some resources to spare just in case to account for possible errors? That's why the death rate is so high for chemists.

No, I don't think that's quite it. Chemists have a built in refill in their potion forms... people not understanding that or forgetting it and saving potions for too long and then trying to use them to and get out of a problem is what kills them. That is limited with Stheno today, but there are many other options for a boss that only lasts one or two rounds.

Imagine the gods were Taurog, PM, Binlor. Very easy to not have enough resources in the end. You would have to guarantee at least 1 levelup during the boss fight, but you cannot do that with Stheno reliably. Dragon Soul is good during the run, but much weaker than Refreshment during the boss battle.

Taurog. TAAAAUUUUROOOOOG. And you've fuelled him with Pact Maker (50 piety) and Binlor (30). And you can't see why you wouldn't need a levelup? This isn't VT Stheno... a single death protection is probably enough (along with a reflex potion), and by switching to Taurog for clean-up you should have three or four (which is possibly enough for VT Stheno). Hey, a couple Stone Skins from Binlor could get you enough hits on Stheno (you might need to drink a couple health potions to edge above 50% for the last hit).

I considered the gods I'd get... and with conjunction there really wasn't a bad set. Taurog isn't great until after the first boss (because I'll want to double BYSSEPS a lot)... and then he's game winning if you commit. Dracul, not until just before taking on Stheno (as more than half the monsters are undead)... and then it's game winning. Pact Maker and Binlor are a bit weak... but they fuel either of those. Mystera is okay, but not as good as most others because she's limited with Chemists. In all evaluation, I would always toss back Mystera in hopes of getting a better god. So I certainly wasn't going to take away one of my chances for her. If she showed up, fine. And she did, and I used her, but I actually didn't have to. I used a single refresh, mostly so I wouldn't feel like I wasted the piety and because it would get me a little bit of extra utility on clearing B2P from inventory. I could have mana regened Goo or just drank a bunch of mana potions for the last fireball.

I am just surprised I am often the only one prepping certain items. Like a few days ago I was almost the only one prepping Dracul, for example.

Can't remember what we were doing that day. Dracul was opposite Bear Mace, and other gods were available in other slots... including JJ. No reason to make a bunch of monsters bloodless when you've got a strong god already prepped. If Dracul shows up as well, convert and you'll be better off... it's not like you needed Dracul that day, most people won.

Whereas in today's goat run, not many people taking the Slayer Wand... and that can be a lethal mistake. Halls of Steel has lots of narrow corridors to get blocked, and if TT shows up and you get stuck there at the start you need to be able to get to that altar to buy piety before you get hosed (so always try to prep something for mobility with goats). Plus, even if that doesn't happen... it's free food that can help you out if the monsters are hiding.
Bwrgarbl

Postby AvovA17 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 pm

Bwrgarbl wrote:Taurog. TAAAAUUUUROOOOOG. And you've fuelled him with Pact Maker (50 piety) and Binlor (30).

Well, still only 80 piety. You need 115 just to get one DP. And 30 more for the second one. I am not sure
whether he gives piety for non-xp revenants or not. I personally rarely use him, unless I am a berserker going
for the warmonger badge.

In fact, I played 2 practice runs in my kingdom on Hexx Ruins with the same race/class,
and Dracul turned out just bleh, while with Mystera I won easily, just like in the actual DERP.
Yes, Stheno is weak, but you need to kill almost everybody before you start fighting him,
and when you start the fight you might be already out of blackspace. It is annoying.
You always have reflex/quicksilver/schadenfreude from the apothecary though.

In any case, I thought having a bunch of guaranteed MP refills at the end would be really nice.
I wanted a strategy that gives me a good margin of error.

Whereas in today's goat run, not many people taking the Slayer Wand... and that can be a lethal mistake. Halls of Steel has lots of narrow corridors to get blocked, and if TT shows up and you get stuck there at the start you need to be able to get to that altar to buy piety before you get hosed (so always try to prep something for mobility with goats). Plus, even if that doesn't happen... it's free food that can help you out if the monsters are hiding.

Yeah, I also played a couple of quick goat runs in my kingdom, and Crystal Ball felt good as well.
Plus, I saw that some people already finished it without the wand, so I knew it was not necessary.
~'(^+^)'~ also told me to prep the wand though. Noobs never listen, eh? :)
AvovA17

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons