[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Weird facts about mechanics

Weird facts about mechanics

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Weird facts about mechanics

Postby choongmyoung on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Extra apothecaries add 2 potion shops, right? Then why Thief doesn't get 4?
Why does not Binlor hate you levelup beyond 10, but GG likes it?
Why the heavy-prepped Rat drops a certain item based on the buildings unlocking order?
Why does Warlord's damage is calculated after being hit, unlike weakening?
Why does player's corrosion is not applied on hit of zero damage, but monster's corrosion is applied?

There are a lot of things that the game doesn't clearly notify to you; you should experiment by yourself. That's one of the joy of DD.
choongmyoung

Postby srid on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Well, I can't speak for the devs, but if I had to answer these (very good) questions, I would say:

Extra apothecaries add 2 potion shops, right? Then why Thief doesn't get 4?
> It looks like an omission, I will check the code to see if I can find more about this

Why does not Binlor hate you levelup beyond 10, but GG likes it?
> I guess that it is a game design decision, which is very handy for VGT

Why the heavy-prepped Rat drops a certain item based on the buildings unlocking order?
> It's complicated... I think that when a Game Save is loaded, it re-plays all the quest completion and Building Upgrades in the same order which they happened. Then, when the dungeon start, the game iterates on every building prep to see if they were prepped, and adds the items to the inventory in that order.
I never noticed that but it is very disturbing. Does it mean that some player can prep Shadow Heart with the Rat Monarch and drop it on the ground and some other can't depending on their save file? That would suck...

Why does Warlord's damage is calculated after being hit, unlike weakening?
> Probably a design decision, it makes the Warlord better at getting hit and I think that dislekcia once explained that the weakening happening first was too disturbing for the player's

Why does player's corrosion is not applied on hit of zero damage, but monster's corrosion is applied?
> Because otherwise you could apply corrosion to a physically and magically immune enemy. Actually in Curious VGT we had to make a special rule about... you know. And it does work with corrosion because otherwise The Indomitable or the Golden Statue would really be a joke with DR.

These answers only reflect my own opinion, though. And I do agree that all these little details contribute to the salt of this game.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:51 am

I'm pretty sure the Shadow Heart interaction you're concerned about can't happen, since the game forces you to unlock Fighters (and therefore locker items) before anything else.
shade_of_ox

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:09 pm

OK, here's a really strange one.

If you have Binlor's Stone Form and get knocked through a wall by an enemy with knockback, you will not gain Might for that wall being broken (whereas you would if you, say, knocked an enemy through a wall instead).
shade_of_ox

Postby Vemb on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Vemb

Postby Nurator on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Nice findings, added all of them to the list :)
Nurator

Postby shade_of_ox on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Yes, what you're saying about first strike makes sense. I guess I just didn't notice it in the combat prediction, so maybe it didn't show up there.
shade_of_ox

Postby choongmyoung on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:34 am

choongmyoung

Postby Nurator on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:18 pm

I changed the list accordingly :) Its a nice little list right now :)
Nurator

Postby Vemb on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Vemb

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons