[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby srid on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:24 pm

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 am

Yeah, Den of Danger actually is pretty cruel with its terrain generation. In fact I think most Vicious scenarios are not nearly as liable to screw you in this way, aside from Namtar's Lair and Naga City.

I guess if you're going to play playing a caster, Elf makes sense, but at that point you're basically not playing Monk at all so much as a generic caster. BLUDTUPOWA would be a very nice find for that build.

It's true that I was just fighting a lot of enemies straight up, but once I hit level 4 I was able to regen fight pretty much anything I cared to. Monk is really strong in that department.
Last edited by shade_of_ox on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shade_of_ox

Postby srid on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:55 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 am

Oh whoops, I thought I was in the other thread for some reason. My bad.
shade_of_ox

Postby srid on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:45 am

Here is the Dwarf Monk of JJ in Naga City run that I promised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR-BqNe ... e=youtu.be

I apologize in advance, as it is my first recorded video ever, and I'm quite a slow player.
I also did some gross mistakes like not buying the Tower Shield, and using my fortitude potion way too late.
If anything, the video is interesting to see how to farm lots of piety with JJ.

As you'll see I had much more difficulties to level up than shade_of_ox's Orc Monk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vJU8lIlzgs), since I entered a level 7, but once in the Arena I was quite comfortable.

I did use the Yendor and Keg of Health from the shops, but for my defense, I sticked with JJ untill the end and didn't need to use Chaos Avatar (I did use it against Kinisssch just to show off, I had plenty of blackspace left too).

@shade Clearly your build was stronger, except against the Tormented One that required you some gymnastic with GG. Thanks to the huge mana pool I didn't have any difficulty to dispatch physically resistant bosses.

For the record, I never implied that more health was better than more damage for a Monk, I just wanted to show that large health was good for a Monk, thanks to the double regen, and that a Monk could get his way around Vicious dungeons without necessarily relying on more damage at all (or on the Codex).

srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:04 am

Level 3? 7 damage? Seems good to me...
Nice run! Really feels like the monk when you're hitting the Iron Man literal dozens of times without him even being close to death. :lol:

As I think I mentioned earlier, I think this build doesn't so much show the power of Monk as it does the power of Jehora. Your high HP helped at some points, but what really carried the run was the enormous mana pool, which really has nothing to do with Monk if we're being honest. The nice thing about the high HP is that you're saving yourself lots of damage on the bosses since you're barely regen fighting them.

While we're on the subject of dumb things you can do with Monk in Naga City, I have this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIOQGuv7iXw
You can also do the same thing in the base game. I'm sure someone here has already covered it at some point.
shade_of_ox

Postby choongmyoung on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 am

Very nice run! I enjoyed watching it.
One thing I've learned while watching the run is, farming piety is better with non-orc because less damage and high health = more knockback = more piety, and double health generation = double knockback = double piety. And I'm pretty amused that lv7 Monk without damage boost still overregenerates 120% attack bosses.
Btw I think Vampiric Blade would be better than Platemail.
choongmyoung

Postby srid on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:32 pm

srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:20 pm

With four stacks of learning, who cares about blackspace? ;)
shade_of_ox

Postby srid on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Well, finally I won't upload a video of Elf Monk of EM in Vicious Steel because I failed miserably. I didn't remember that Count Blah Blah had Magical Attack too.

Also I found the depleted glyph and noticed two things:
I had bugs that caused it to be unusable when it should have been, and Interestingly, EM doesn't care if you use it.

srid

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons