Ideas for dungeons!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Ideas for dungeons!

Postby The Avatar on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:35 pm

I had nothing to do this morning so I made up what the northern dungeons should be and their respective quests.
Remember these are just suggestions.

Dungeon progression

Northern desert --> Rock garden
Rock Garden --> Wizard's Tower and Troll Cave

Then once you find the subdungeon where an efreet warns you of the demon lords's plot to resurrect The Avatar.

Mountain Pass --> Ruined City
Ruined City --> Demonic Library

Descriptions

Wizard's Tower
Difficulty: Hard
Boss: Xenolex
Description (On map screen): Beyond the labyrinths and cave networks the golems inhabit lies a legendary tower where the last of the desert empire's arch magi reside.
Description (What the actual level is like): The level is broken into three sections each smaller than normal dungeon size altars found on floor one are on two and three, and altars found on floor two is on three too. The first is inhabited by warlocks, efreets, imps, and dragonkin levels one through 3. Guarding the staircase is a level 4 efreet who has 25% physical and magical resistances. It has one of each power up, BURNDAYRAZ, a random glyph, and a random altar. Floor 2 is inhabited by animated armors, shades, illusions and wraiths levels 4-6. Guarding the staircase is a level 7 shade without blink and 10% more lifesteal. It has one of each power up, two random glyphs, and a random altar. Floor 3 has a remix of the monsters levels 7-9. The boss, Xenolex, is an illusion with 500 hp, 40 damage, weakening, 50% physical resistance and 50% magic resistance. Trophy: Illusionary Wisp

Troll Cave
Boss: Soft Hide the You Can't Catch Me
Description (On the Map): These trolls have terribly terrifying reputations for fleeing freely from fighting. And they live in a cave.
Description (What the actual level is like): You start out in a one by two hallway and as soon as you move off your starting place a rockslide replaces the ladder. It opens into a venture cave like dungeon. At the end there is a 1 by 6 Hallway with Soft Hide the You Can't Catch Me on square one. He is a troll boss with 25% both, fast regen, cowardly, 400 HP, and 75 damage. The enemies in the cave consist of all the types of trolls. Trophy: Troll Hide

Mountain Pass
Boss: The Abominable Blinkman
Description (On the map): To reach the ruined capital of the desert empire you must pass trough these treacherous mountains filled with unimaginable blinking horrors.
Description (What the actual level is like): A level filled with corridors (like druid grove or deep swamp). Inhabited by shades, burn vipers, and imps. The boss is an imp with 600 HP and 105 attack. Whenever any of the monsters blink they all do. Trophy: Pitchfork

Ruined City
Boss: The Ancient King
Description (On the map): The ancient capital of the desert empire was lost thousands of years ago. Now that you have found it you have seen it never truly died out.
Description (What the level is actually like): The level is inhabited by zombies, wraiths, shades, animated armors and Doom Armors. The boss starts as a level 10 animated armor with the indomitable's stats, but only 10 death protections but when you break his 10th death protection he flee's into a subdungeon where there is only an orb of illusion. when you pick up and smash it the illusions are gone showing all of the enemies still remaining to vanish and the ancient king as a zombie with franks grimm's groto stats.

Quests

Troll Troubles: Beat troll cave with 4 classes for regeneration ring which boosts health regen by one.

Crusade of Iron: Beat the norther desert as a berserker without spells for 300 gold Then same in rock Garden for 400 gold
Then beat Wizard's tower with warmonger berserker for 500 gold to get the staff of Xenolex which gives a temporary 10% attack bonus when you cast a spell (Non-stackable).

Forging a path: Beat the mountain pass 500 gold

The Ancient Curse: Beat the Ruined City for 700 gold

Many thanks if you actually read the entire thing and I'd love all comments!
Last edited by The Avatar on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Northern Dungeons!

Postby Darvin on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Heheh, we really do need a level editor sooner or later to create our own designs.

Here's one that I've been toying around with for a while:

Abyssal Halls
Legends speak of a great rift in the Earth that descends to the very gates of the underworld. This is a place of shadow and terror, home to creatures forsaken by the light. In its deepest recesses there is supposedly a guardian who presides over the gateway to the realm of the dead. Few who venture into this maw ever return to the surface, so naturally it has become a popular destination for all manners of adventurer.

Every time a monster takes damage in the abyssal halls, the entire map is covered with shadow once again. At first glance, this may make the level seem easy (you'll basically never run out of tiles to regenerate). However, the monsters and boss are going to take advantage of their natural environment.

Monsters: Wraiths, Trolls, Imps, Vampires, Necromancer (cowardly, spawns weak undead minions [no xp] on every adjacent tile around himself after retreating), Shadow Drake (weakening, poisonous)

Boss: Charon
This place is not for the likes of the living. Of course, if you're so eager to pass through these gates, I suppose I could oblige you...
Regards, Charon, Keeper of the Dead

Special: Physical resist +100%, retaliates fireballs, mana burn. Resistance reduced to 0% whenever an XP-granting monster is killed. Regains +25% resistance every time he takes damage.
Damage: 85
Health: 670

Boss (form 2): Charon
Enough of this childishness; your time has come and I shall drag you screaming into the nether!
Special: Poison, Weakening, Physical Resist 75%
Damage: 40
Health: 350

Boss (form 3): Charon
Only one has ever escaped my grasp; I will not allow a second...
Special: Teleports, Corrosive, Death Protection (1 layer), Undead
Damage: 20
Health: 300
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:11 pm

That dungeon seems perfect for a follow up like hell itself for example.

But, isn't it impossible to beat form 2. You hit him and he regens 90 for the covered up tiles (Your tile and the 8 around it)
so you need to deal over 90 damage which would require physical damage>360 or magic damage>90 both impossible things.

Perhaps it could cover up 9 random tiles sort of like three casts of anti-lemmisee, instead of the whole board.
Last edited by The Avatar on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:12 pm

The Black Pyramid

Difficulty: THE FINAL CHALLENGE

Nothing special except the both bosses are fought in the inner sanctum, a one way subdungeon (like underworld) the size of the avatar's subdungeon.

Deep in the Underworld lies an ancient black pyramid, resting place to Orl'yeh, the black god. For years the dark priest Alzane has been trying to resurrect the black god, without success. Now, as the millennium draws to a close, the power of black magic is at its highest. If Alzane were to resurrect Orl'yeh it would spell the end of this world!

Monsters: Thralls, Spectral Beast (Curse, First Strike, 50% magic res, mana burn, magic attack, Black and white dragon sprite? super green dragon sprite?), Necromancer (revives, weakening, curse, magic attack, White cloaked wizard with red eyes sprite), Rotting hulks (corrosive, weakening, Goblin Miner sprite), and Acid Viper (corrosion, poison, young cave snake sprite)

Boss 1: Alzane (Thrall sprite)
"I have been waiting a millennium to reawaken my god. I shall not be stopped by the likes of you!"
Obstinately,
Alzane, Death Priest of Orl'yeh

Special: Counter fireball, Weakening, Corrosion
Damage: 105
Hp: 500
As you strike Alzane down he laughs a harsh pitiless laugh."Fool! Slaying me will not prevent Orl'yeh's resurrection! I have simply stalled you till his ressurection!"

Boss 2: Orl'yeh
Dark miasma floods the room choking and blinding you. When it clears, before stands a tall warrior clad in black armor."The time has come for the world to end! It shall be reborn as I have. You are too weak to stop me, but you have killed Alzane, my loyal priest. A shall destroy you in his name and remake the world anew!"
In the name of Alzane,
Orl'yeh, the black god

Special: Poison, Mana Burn, Curse, Resists 50% all
Damage: 66
Hp: 666

"NO! I am a god! you are a mortal! I cannot be defeated!" You are blinded by a flash of black light. As you recover, you see before you a tall man with jet black hair and raven-like eyes. He draws out a blood-stained great sword. His armor lies on the ground, undamaged. I have wasted enough of my time with you already. FEEL THE WRATH OF A GOD!

Orl'yeh form 2 (Thrall sprite, Perhaps black and white)
Special: Berserk 99%, Poison, Mana Burn, Curse
Damage: 66
Hp: 666

As you strike the killing blow to Orl'yeh he lets out a long agonizing scream. His body rises into the air, as black miasma pours from his opened mouth. To your horror, you realize you cannot leave. The miasma is choking you. In a desperate attempt to save yourself, you put on Orl'yeh's armor. You feel the magic of the armor purging your system. The smoke clears. You see a door slide open. Congratulations, Hero, you have saved the world.

Trophy: Orl'yeh's armor: Worth 200 gold. Immunity to poison, immunity to mana burn, ignore 5 layers of corrosion, ignore 5 layers of weakening, ignore 5 layers of curse, 10% resist both, and start with a death protection.

Orl'yeh form one sprite: http://i.imgur.com/FNfL6.png
Last edited by The Avatar on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.

The Avatar

Re: Ideas for dungeons!

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:56 pm

I'd post my Orl'yeh sprite, but I can't seem to get an image on the post. Aren't you supposed to paste the name of it on your computer in between the two image boxes???

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:45 am

You'll have to upload the image to an image hosting service, since the forum will not store the image for you (as far as I know). I'd recommend imgur.
q 3

Postby dislekcia on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Damn, you guys make me want to figure out how to make an editor that doesn't destroy (the very little that remains of) your sanity.
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:30 pm

You should!

It would have 5 tabs on the main screen:

1. Build your own special subdungeon
2. Build monsters. Has boxes for hp and atk percents, the sprite, the name, and the effects it has.
3. Put in bosses. Works like monster maker except it also has boxes for boss text.
4. Scripted events (Like making another boss spawn upon the death of the first).
5. Choosing a dungeon tile to edit.

Dungeon files would have Overall dungeon stuff. i.e. choosing monsters form the pre-made monsters and whatever else you have added to your monster database, the tileset to be used, any must-use subdungeons, and any scripted events.

The first 4 would not apply to the current dungeon file so you never have to remake a monster subdungeon or boss for two different dungeons.

Of course this would be hard to make but, you would be the best ever if you did. (Even though you already are the best... So I suppose that would make you the best of the best!) :)
Also, the subdungeon builder could be used for building puzzles.

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Yeah, the issue isn't what the UI would look like, it's allowing access to everything via data. That would take a while :(
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 pm

If only... If only... [Extra required Characters]

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons