Shifting sands

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Shifting sands

Postby The Avatar on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Well actually, Darvin, I think they are all changed.

Getandafix was different, Durr and Hurr were different. I am pretty sure they just weakened the algorithm. instead of 1.5 normal stats it might be 1.3 normal stats, for example.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
User avatar
The Avatar
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 pm
Location: Demonic Library

Re: Shifting sands

Postby Nandrew on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:39 am

The Avatar wrote:Well actually, Darvin, I think they are all changed.

Getandafix was different, Durr and Hurr were different. I am pretty sure they just weakened the algorithm. instead of 1.5 normal stats it might be 1.3 normal stats, for example.


Yeah, we basically just cut stats across the board for some of the directional dungeons.

As for the difficulty of the North, we're gonna see how making one direction a little easier can encourage less veteran players to "fully explore" at least one major plot arc. We may, in fact, not buff the bosses at all: we'll just correctly label the difficulties as something closer to "Normal" and spawn Vicious variants after a few victories (much like some of the dungeons in the east).

We want to start moving in this direction for quite a few of the existing dungeons: scalable challenges and all those other buzzwords. :P
User avatar
Nandrew
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Re: Shifting sands

Postby q 3 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:12 pm

I think it would be neat to have something like an "increase difficulty" preparation available for all dungeons; some of the central dungeons in particular have their own fun gimmicks (like Chokebox and Doubledoom), but quickly become too easy once you know what you're doing. Letting the player select a higher stat modifier, if they wish, would let you have that scalability for every dungeon, without having to place a bunch of duplicate dungeons the map.
q 3
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Shifting sands

Postby gjaustin on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:21 pm

q 3 wrote:I think it would be neat to have something like an "increase difficulty" preparation available for all dungeons; some of the central dungeons in particular have their own fun gimmicks (like Chokebox and Doubledoom), but quickly become too easy once you know what you're doing. Letting the player select a higher stat modifier, if they wish, would let you have that scalability for every dungeon, without having to place a bunch of duplicate dungeons the map.


I'll second this, since I think it's a really good idea.

Preferably, the multiplier would affect the value of your trophy as well.
gjaustin
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 am

Re: Shifting sands

Postby The Avatar on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Preferably, the multiplier would affect the value of your trophy as well.


The thing is this would either be rather pointless, because if you're good enough to beat it with better stats you probably don't need the money, or abusable because people could pump level 8 lord gobb's stats like crazy and get a lot of money.

Also, a question. When you beat the indomitable with 4 classes does it open a separate vicious version or just replace the hard one.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
User avatar
The Avatar
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 pm
Location: Demonic Library

Re: Shifting sands

Postby 232 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:26 am

Both the Indomitable and the Count open up separate versions.
232
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Shifting sands

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:15 pm

I know, I just got them both, but thanks anyways!

Actually, I like the vicious versions as they are harder, but not as hard as namtar, for example.


Beat vicious count on first try with whupazing elf paladin, and dragon shield, of course.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
User avatar
The Avatar
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 pm
Location: Demonic Library

Re: Shifting sands

Postby Darvin on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:32 am

Actually, I like the vicious versions as they are harder, but not as hard as namtar, for example.

While I'd agree BlahBlah isn't harder, I'd say Indomitable on vicious is harder than Namtar.
User avatar
Darvin
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:44 am

Re: Shifting sands

Postby The Avatar on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:21 pm

While I'd agree BlahBlah isn't harder, I'd say Indomitable on vicious is harder than Namtar.

So true, so. so true
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
User avatar
The Avatar
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 pm
Location: Demonic Library

Re: Shifting sands

Postby zeemeerman2 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:55 pm

gjaustin wrote:
q 3 wrote:I think it would be neat to have something like an "increase difficulty" preparation available for all dungeons; some of the central dungeons in particular have their own fun gimmicks (like Chokebox and Doubledoom), but quickly become too easy once you know what you're doing. Letting the player select a higher stat modifier, if they wish, would let you have that scalability for every dungeon, without having to place a bunch of duplicate dungeons the map.


I'll second this, since I think it's a really good idea.

Preferably, the multiplier would affect the value of your trophy as well.

Like done in Gemcraft Labyrinth? (Rightclick-open in new tab both images to see all of them. I changed some things... ;) )
Image

Quick photoshop:
Image
zeemeerman2
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests

cron