[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

All things Desktop Dungeons

Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

Postby Prezombie on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:03 am

Big fan of DD, I've played the free version since the earliest incarnation.

I think the "sponsor" version of the game is fine, and priced low enough to have enough fans bite.

The other two price points, however, are a Massive mistake. MASSIVE.

It divides the community into those who want to have the full game, and the ones who just want the basic package.

You're adding who knows how much DLC and doubling the price before the game is even out, I thought you guys were better than that.

If you really want to make a mid-tier option, go for feelies! Acrylic models of classic sprites for mounting as magnets or pins, anything tangible will do.

Putting it bluntly, the way it is, I can see a lot of people opting for piracy for the full game when they would've gladly paid the low-tier price.
Prezombie

Re: Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

Postby Azeke on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:04 am

Agreed.

I would be fine if you just removed cheapest edition and kept the price for regular one at 20$, really.
Azeke

Postby lee on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:35 am

I agree.
The whole exclusive mission is a bit of a dirty marketing trick when one of the large publishers do it, an indie has no place doing something like this.

I went to that page with the intent of preordering there and then, but having seen the way the games were tiered, I walked away empty handed.

I am upset that if I bought the game at it's standard price that I would not be getting the full game but also that they would charge $10 for some bare bones extra content. They must appreciate that they've given customers the worst of both worlds with this pricing structure.

As Azeke said, they would have been better off just charging the $20, although it's too late for that now really.
If they wanted to charge extra, why not just call it the preorder pack, bundle in the couple of extras for people who buy it before the day? Then they allow a sense of community, let people feel like they're being rewarded for following the game so closely instead of trying to nickel and dime the fans they still have.
lee

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:47 am

I'm sorry you guys feel that way, that's really not what we intended: The Special Edition is there for the people that want to go over and above pre-ordering the game to support us. We've had a steady stream of emails over the last year asking us to put up a donate button or do something to let them help with development, so that's what's informed the Special Edition. Trying to nickel and dime people that love our game is probably the furthest thing from our minds, we can't get over how awesome it is that so many people are playing Desktop Dungeons already!

Of course, we'd feel bad simply charging more for the same game, so we brainstormed and saw what sorts of bonus content we could add as our way of saying thanks. It's literally a few extra things here and there, they'll be mostly joke quests and the special character isn't exactly the most seriously balanced thing in the game - quite the opposite in fact ;)

What would work better in your minds? We were toying with a system that would give the extra content as reward for a pay-as-much-as-you-feel donation system, but unfortunately PayPal's implementation in South Africa makes that all but impossible at the moment. We settled on this as a compromise, I hope it hasn't left too bad a taste in your mouths.
dislekcia

Postby SmackleFunky on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:58 am

SmackleFunky

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:07 pm

dislekcia

Postby lee on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:08 pm

Edit: I spent a long time writing this, many of my points have been made already :(

I have no problem paying $20 for the game, I just feel as though what's being offered and the way you're being upsold is tainting the deal.
I think a better compromise would be something that is purely aesthetic rather than something that does affect how the game is played. A good example would be 'classic tileset mode' or something similar.

The problem I have with the current set up is that even if the intention was to allow people to pay more if they wished, what you have done instead is bribe people into buying a 'complete' version instead. This could possibly be resolved simply by changing the description of the version. make people aware that the extra content will be lacking but is just a small way to say thank you, don't just sell it as the collector's edition.

As I said in my earlier message, don't act like a large publisher would, use being indie as an advantage. You don't need to sound official in your descriptions of the product, explain it how it really is. When you type "Special Edition bonus content: Additional Kingdom building, extra challenge quests and a unique character class" you don't show the same informal, human emotion you do when you say "we brainstormed and saw what sorts of bonus content we could add as our way of saying thanks."

The first one makes it sound like an upsell, the second makes you sound like an indie startup who is grateful for the custom.
lee

Postby SmackleFunky on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:16 pm

SmackleFunky

Postby Zalminen on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:35 pm

Yea, changing the description a bit would solve the problem just fine.

Argh. I pre-ordered the game like 10 minutes ago and it listed the Exclusive edition as "Sold out" so I got the Special edition and chuckled a bit about having been so "slow".
I returned to the page to re-read the descriptions because of this thread and now it says 6 left for the Exclusive edition.

Well, I'm not sure if I'd chosen the Exclusive edition had it been available when I preordered but still, what a timing...
Zalminen

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:49 pm

dislekcia

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons