[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

Postby Azeke on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Man, those exclusives sure went away fast!

i was kinda thinking of buying it. In a week or so. But as it happens -- no chance. :? Ah well. "special edition" it is.

Also, am i the only who has trouble reading that font:

And i reiterate the general opinion that dividing your clientbase to those who bought cheap version and special version is a bad idea.

I kinda bummed right now. I really like you guys, and you gave endless hours of entertainment during breaks with your freeware version, but decisions like these...

I dunno...
Azeke

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:22 pm

dislekcia

Postby flap on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Well different versions are not a problem for me. The team has to make a living.
flap

Postby princevaliant on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm

The different versions don't bother me whatsoever. I'm only waiting to place my preorder until the wording is slightly clarified, so fans can get a better idea of what they will be getting for the "special edition".

I only wish my gaming budget was large enough to afford the exclusive edition! I know there are plenty of other DD fans who will snatch up all the copies though - when I first checked the site there were 3 copies, now there are only 2 :-)
princevaliant

Postby Kouriozan on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Well, I bought the special edition to show some support, not for the little extra we can get.
I'm fine with that.
Kouriozan

Postby Agbaar on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Agbaar

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:19 pm

dislekcia

Postby zeemeerman2 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:01 pm

None of the next is considered an ad, just an idea comparison. QCFDesign still rules!

At the Flash games of Artix Entertainment (mostly known from Adventure Quest), each time they release a new game (with free and paid version), they give players a chance to become "Founders". A Founder is someone that becomes a paid member within 1 month of the release day.
It will give you something special, unobtainable once the first month has passed. It may include (depending on the game) something simple as a special badge at the character selection screen, a noncombat pet, a donation to Child's Play Charity, a warm and fuzzy feeling of helping the game developers, etc...

I myself am Founder of their game AQWorlds, and therefore I obtain a Platinum baby Dragon. It's a little noncombat pet I'm proud of to have and to show off to everyone in multiplayer.

In the games Artix Entertainment develops, there are also holiday events, like Halloween and Easter. In those events, you can also obtain other noncombat pets (e.g. a walking pumpkin at Halloween), only available in that specific event. After that event ends, it can't be obtained any more. The people that have obtained the said walking pumpkin can be proud of their pet. And while they can't obtain a Platinum baby Dragon anymore, if I didn't do the Halloween event, they can be proud of their unique pet while I can be proud at mine; yet having nothing extra in quantity of pets.

Do you get what I mean?

You can have the premium members/special edition buyers something special, unobtainable by any other means, yet not that special so you can add special items in later of the game other people can be proud of to have and the premium/special edition members don't necessary have.
With an additional class, it's difficult to keep players happy. If it's an overpowered class, it's a dead giveaway players want to play the class, even if they first bought the normal game and later suddenly realized they want to play the class but don't want to buy the game again with the price doubled (which they already have once). (So if they pay 15 dollars for the normal game, then wanting the extra class and paying an additional 30 dollars instead of the price difference between the two: a total of 45 dollars for the game (two licenses but they only need one) plus the additional class.)
If the class is underpowered (e.g. no special abilities, aka. the "No"-class), hardcore veterans which don't had the money for paying the game at first yet still wanting to play that "neutral" class to see if they can win, even without automated passive abilities, ... same thing.

(I for example can't call myself hardcore, yet I still love the game a lot, paid the premium package with PayPal. A few months ago, I sent 40 euros to my PayPal account, and at times, I bought cheap 5-dollar games on Steam, making my budget lower slowly but steadily. Now my budget was around 20 euros, then I saw Desktop Dungeons pre-order. Insta-buy, since I want to help support the dev's of the game. I bought the 15 dollar edition, making my PayPal budget lower to around 5 euros, and remembering myself to re-fill my PayPal account one of these days.
But it could also be I had only 10 euros left and couldn't buy the special edition. Just saying that hardcore supporter is not the same as having the money or ability to buy the special edition, even if they love you that much.)

Ps.: The 75-dollars edition, is part of that money gain for the travel to the E3 or am I wrong?
zeemeerman2

Postby DDAnon on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:22 pm

DDAnon

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:53 pm

dislekcia

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons