[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Is there ever any reason to not immediately convert WONAFYT?

Is there ever any reason to not immediately convert WONAFYT?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Is there ever any reason to not immediately convert WONA

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:32 am

What if WONAFYT monsters gave reduced experience? Like, maybe only a single point?
Sidestepper

Postby FDru on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:50 am

FDru

Postby The Avatar on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:08 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:21 am

No I mean it creates an entirely new monster but that monster isn't worth full experience
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:47 am

The problem I have with creating new monsters is that this would completely change the way you play. The goal would be to fill the dungeon with low-mid level monsters for fodder as you approach higher levels. A paladin with undead and bloodmage with blood pools in particular would get a lot of extra resources out of this. At the same time, for a naive "straightforward" purpose this still has the same problem as the existing glyph that I don't want to be fighting a monster that's equal or lower level than me, even if it's not depleting long-term assets.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:04 pm

I would say temporarily increase the monsters level by one until you regenerate, but warlord or rogues with precasted death protections could abuse this...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:55 pm

The main reason Wonafyt and Byseps are seen as weak is that you're all relying on items that are too strong. We're going through a round of item nerfs and adjustments, which will hopefully re-elevate the glyphs (that aren't Cydstep) back to unique and interesting parts of the game.

I keep using Wonafyt early-game if I find it, helps me conserve regen and/or create nice little non-blocking monster/blood pool gardens for later. Byseps is also designed as more of an early-game glyph, although it's definitely useful for extra damage when you're not super boosted by high damage items. Remember that conversion late game is not neccessarily a bad thing: You can't convert from shops, so finding a glyph you're not going to use is still good.
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:09 am

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:51 am

gjaustin

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:43 am

Byseps isn't even good early game by itself. You need Halpmeh (or alternatively, Fireball) in order to get full effect out of it. If I get Byseps early but alone, even on a purist it usually doesn't actually help (e.g I still take 3 hits to kill an enemy, even though my 3 hits are technically stronger), and if you got Halpmeh to pair up with it, it's honestly a little superflous.

In the old system where glyphs and item are seperate I might consider keeping it around until something better but on a race with instant conversion benefits (not the potion races, that is), there really isn't many times I can think where I would not convert it straight away.
TigerKnee

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons