Okay, take this!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Okay, take this!

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:08 am

Dang, I seem to be stuck on the goo blob level too!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:14 am

We just don't have a good way to beat physical resist. I just don't see a way past this floor; the only characters with enough spellcasting power to get through here aren't going to make it through the dragonspawn and the zombies on the previous levels. I think I'd have an easier time with five Bleaties than these five Goo Blobs...
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:40 am

I made it all the way to the 5 meat men floor with a CYDSTEPP dracul rogue.

After goo blobs it's wizards, golems, snakes, and then meat men.

Feel free to use potions on the goo blob layer if you need to, but you still won't beat the meat.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby subanark on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:56 am

Got to level 9 with the snakes (those golems on level 8 messed me up). I used a transmuter with rock heart. Used Attack->Mana to get enough so I could keep fireball up and still have enough to destroy walls. Took rock heart, eventually got a battle mage ring, and descended with fireball and first strike. The gods really didn't help me much.
subanark

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:08 am

I wonder if the devs have beaten the tower

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:48 am

I'm liking the new Earthmother, so far. Vine Form seems just about right. I haven't tested the corrode-all boon much yet, but if you find it early enough I suspect it could be quite handy for a Monk or Assassin. Also, she's giving full +10 piety for petrifying plants (the ones that aren't immune to magic). Not sure if that's intentional or not, but it's a huge source of piety if you play your cards right.

Binlor's new resist-reducing boon is very nice - probably too powerful without an increasing cost, since Binlor is the single best piety farm deity - but the same-floor restriction does make it nearly useless in most of the vicious dungeons, which is where it's most needed.

Namtar's Ward is much better than it used to be, but IMO still not quite on par with the other legendary items (even the nerfed Dragon Shield). Having it deduct HP rather than MP would make it just about perfect, IMO (maybe -5 HP per use).

Holy Diver has no effect in the new dungeon (presumably because there is no altar on the main level). I assume Scout Altar and Scout Boss are likewise ineffective, but didn't test them.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:17 am

You seem to need to create the ideal level 10 like naga city...

If only they hadn't super-nerfed Dragon Shield...

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:23 am

Dragon Shield is still awesome, just not "OMG why would I ever prepare anything else!?" awesome. Of course, for levels like the Naga City that's a pretty big hit.
Darvin

Postby subanark on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:53 am

Ok, the best I got the boss down to was 2702. I messed up a few things, but not more than maybe 200 damage or so.
I think what you need is:
Elf Transmuter (so you can get enough mana to cast fireball)
Rock Heart: To take advantage of the many walls in the dungeon
Piercing wand: To penetrate the boss's magic resist
65% potion: To really help with boss's HP
Healing or First Strike Glyph: Healing is better, this helps take down the many monsters
Worship: Magic - The +max mana doesn't give the boss resist since he is on a different level. Refresh to help save walls. Fireball bonus to help kill boss.

Another alternative is to take a really big sword, get a soul orb and use a healing glyph to get though the small amount of damage the boss does. A small amount of physical resist will help here too, but you will get a lot from destroying walls. If you are really lucky you could try dragon's scale and see if you can buy a rock heart and a soul orb. GG is the only god I see worth worshiping in order to get that -1 level bonus.

Boss stats (spoiler)
HP: 5000
Atk: 75 (I think)
Phy Res: 50%
Mag Res: 50%
Mana Burn
subanark

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:49 am

It occurs to me that anyone who could complete a gold-giving quest would generally not actually need the extra gold (unless the quest is extremely trivial)
TigerKnee

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons