[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Okay, take this!

Okay, take this!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Okay, take this!

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Uhh... clearly I suck with the transmuter cause' I can't get past the dragons... how are you guys playing them?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Extra mana preparation so you have 10 mana once you have all the power-ups. Use BURNDAYRAZ, then knock out a wall to get to at least 8 mana, then use BURNDAYRAZ again and repeat until you're at 60% physical resist. Then smack the boss and go back to using BURNDAYRAZ. Explore some more black space after defeating each enemy. So long as you still have walls to transmute, you have an infinite mana supply. Golems will be a bit of a challenge if you don't have HALPMEH.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Why not an elf transmuter?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Because transmuter doesn't get mana from exploration anyways, so the only time any max mana above 10 even matters is when you level up which is totally irrelevant once you get any distance into the gaan-telet. I'd take gnome over elf if you really want to go with an "extra magic" race here, but golems are going to be your biggest challenge (aside from the boss himself) so I'd be most inclined to go with a physical damage race like orc or human or maybe dwarf.

I think this is my approach: Orc Transmuter, prepare either battlemage ring or stone heart. Scum for the other item in shop as well as a HALPMEH glyph. Gloves of Midas and Agnostic Collar would also be a plus, but I think at that point you'll be spending forever and a day scumming. Prepare the attack->mana bonus to ensure you have 10 MP and the smuggler's den for extra walls to convert.

Delve down into the dungeon, conserving resources as best you can. Once you reach Binlor, start worshipping him but do not purchase boons (walls are too valuable). Proceed deeper into the dungeon and worship Mystera once you find her. Once you reach the boss, open a can of WHUPAZ and smack him until you run out of health potions, then pop a mana potion and purchase Mystera's flames boon. By my calculations, you'd need 70-80 walls to pull it off at that point. That's... gunna be tight.
Last edited by Darvin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby subanark on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:43 pm

You need at least 8 mana to use the fireball+destroy wall combo. An elf transmuter will push you over that. As will Atk->mana, or if you get (a little lucky) patches. I don't think the +2 mana store item is worth the inventory slot. I don't see why you would use an orc though. You are going to be level 10 most of the time, and a human will give you +5 attack every conversion. Fireball is pretty much required since the sorcerers will pretty much destroy you with their 165 attack.
subanark

Postby Darvin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Darvin

Postby subanark on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:02 pm

The thing is you only need the +1 mana from patches once, after that you can toss him. In the long run a mana potion won't help you that much, and you will need the spare space if you want to get a soul orb (since its small now) to protect against the boss.

I still say Really big sword + healing glyph + soul orb is the way to go. In addition to cutting away a good chunk of the bosses resist, it also helps with the slimes. The only issue with really big sword is you can't take advantage of the first strike glyph if it appears.
subanark

Postby Darvin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Well, I got to Meat Men this time before the game crashed. I definitely DO NOT have enough walls to make this work, though reaching the boss should be fairly straightforward. Back to the drawing board.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Okay... I might just win... But I have to stop for now. Question is it more effect to use melee or magic for boss. (Playing a human without battle Mage ring. 70 damage, have soul orb and HALPMEH)
Last edited by The Avatar on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Avatar

Postby subanark on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Alright I had a good run going, but I screwed drac (forgot that he punishes healing glyph and killing undead).

Human Transmuter
Rockheart
Patches
Piety
swap: HP for Atk
+25 Gold
Really Big sword
Shop Scroll
Can of Whupaz, Str potion, Schadenfreude

The dungeon needs Healing glyph and soul orb. Use the strength potion to kill something a bit higher level in the beginning. After finding 3 mana boosters you will have 8 mana. Until you have 10 mana, you can't chain cast fireball. The issue is you will burn though 2 walls to recover the mana (while wasting .5 walls). If you can hit 10 mana you can cast fireball once per 1.5 walls. With the all the atack power bonuses, your best bet is to melee most the time. Even the slimes with your really big sword are going to fall more easily to melee. The sorcerer are the only time you will need to pull out your fireball. After you finish zombies (and possibly the slimes), convert to drac. You should get a large amount of initial worship piety to get blood shield. Then finish up any low level non-undead you haven't killed yet. If you need to pay a blood tieth to get above 50 piety to convert to GG. With all the exp buildup you have, getting humility will auto boost you back up to level 10 with the +5 base attack bonus and the +10 health you probably lost paying drac off. From there just make your way down to the final level (carefully using walls and exploration). After a can of whupaz, and the really big sword you might be able to burn down the boss large health pool before you run out of walls.
subanark

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons