[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Selective unlocking, looking for suggestions

Selective unlocking, looking for suggestions

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Selective unlocking, looking for suggestions

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:06 am

Do not take the earthmother, but JJ is a possibility. I'd take GG, Taurog, Drac, and JJ.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby SnapDragon on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:02 am

SnapDragon

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:04 am

I figured as much. Anyways, concerning gods, they should not go in progressive order. They should be separate and equally powerful.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:29 am

I finally settled on Taurog, Glowing Guardian, Dracul, and Binlor (as a piety farm). While playing the game like this might be counter to the spirit of the game, I have to say that the predictability is very refreshing. I'm maintaining two kingdoms, one for 'normal' play and one for selective unlocking.

Still mulling over the items:

Trisword: Yes. No longer a stellar preparation (unless you are playing a halfling), but still a welcome find in the shop. Almost always superior to the fine sword.

Whhurggl (fierey sword): Maybe? It's not as good as the Trisword, but is better than the default shop stuff.

Blue Bead: Maybe? Small and cheap, but I think I've only had one game where it actually made a difference.

Midas Gloves: No. Used to be solid, but now that we can carry 50 gold in with us and find another ~20 more, they just aren't needed.

Agnostic Collar: Maybe? Niche item, I'd like one in my locker but don't really want it in random shops

Martyr Wraps: No.

Mage Plate: Not sure.

Fiery Heart: Not sure.

Battlemage Ring: Not sure.

Viper Ward: No. Poison is really easy to manage.

Soul Orb: Yes.

Suggestions welcome!

EDIT: Forgot about Viper Ward and Soul Orb
Last edited by Sidestepper on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sidestepper

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:46 am

If you're selectively unlocking items... the can of Wupaz or whatever is a godsend against individual bosses. The only problem is that you have to get the earlier potions first...
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:42 am

Oh, I consider the high tier potions to be mandatory. Great as preparations and awesome as random finds during an adventure.

The Fortitude and Burn potions are actually decent preparations (Pack a burn salve if you're using Patches, and pack a Fortitude potion if you know you are going to be fighting nagas), but they are stone cold terrible shop items.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:55 am

How true that is...

The Can of Whupaz is probably the single most helpful item in the game. Being able to do over 400 in one hit is extremely powerful and it is even better for low damage tanks ( Like Paladins in Shifting Passages).

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:37 am

I just remembered that the agnostic collar also protects you from the consequences of desecration. That's an instant 50 piety, totally worth having in a shop.
Sidestepper

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:12 am

Okay, filtering out all of the mediocre items and altars lets you set up some amazing combos.

I just played a game using a rogue and taking the scout altar and bank preparations. I bee lined for the first altar and found Binlor. I sacrificed about a 1/3 of the map to gain 150 piety from him (used the resistance-reducing boon 5 times). You can mitigate the cost by using ENDISWAL to burrow into otherwise unreachable tiles. If I had found a nice subdungeon, it would have been even easier. I then converted to Glowing Guardian, starting me out with 50 piety.

All of the early map exploration revealed tons of powerups and shops, including one selling the agnostic collar. I bought that, and then desecrated both Binlor and Taurog, giving me 100 piety in total and letting me get Enlightenment at level one! I didn't even need the collar, since I could have desecrated Binlor without it and I had found plenty of garbage glyphs to convert anyway. By level 5 (post-humility) I had about ~80 piety again. At that point I could just ignore GG's complaints about potion use.

If the third altar had been Dracul instead of Taurog, it would have been nuts. By level 5 or 6, I could have used Absolution to gains tons of hit points, convert to Dracul, and then have access to Blood Shield and still have tons of piety left over for Blood Swell. The synergy between Absolution, Enlightenment, Blood Shield and Blood Swell is just crazy.

I also think I could have easily gotten away with using Binlor's boon 10 times instead of 5, which would have been amazing.

I can't even imagine what a Crusader could pull off with 4 altars.

I still haven't found the Earthmother. Would she fit into this scheme? I'm starting to regret unlocking Taurog, to be honest.
Sidestepper

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:50 am

EM is like bizarro Binlor. She's a piety farm who loves wide open spaces with little walls (as opposed to Binlor who loves labyrinths) and like Binlor she has middling boons.

Free IAmWal means lots of bonus EXP if you know how to use it though, which is easier done in wide open spaces of course.
TigerKnee

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons