Improving and Changing Gods!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Taurog, Binlor, and Tiki Tooki

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:15 pm

That's true, but in physical resist levels or vicious ones you can't use or desecrate it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Alweth on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:07 am

I agree with a lot of what was said in the original few posts and since then, but I am not sure that Taurog is actually underpowered. He is actually probably the god I use the most (having only unlocked him, Mystera, Tikki, and Glowing, for some reason). I have used him to good effect recently with every normal class except Wizard line. This probably has something to do with the fact that Mystera is niche, Tikki is generally weak, and I can never remember what Glowing wants me to do and not do. But I think people are underestimating the power of committing to a primarily physical strategy. It allows you to get a lot of piety and conversion points from glyphs early. It's a little bit of a gamble, but much less so than a lot of other strategic choices. Until you have a good number of his boons, Taurog will still leave you enough mana to cast some of the more useful spells once or more times, which is usually enough, and it's not like you lose that much piety per cast. You usually can either go all the way with Taurog or grab what you need, fill up on piety, and then convert to another god. For example, an elven warlord can easily benefit from going half-way with Taurog, really upping his damage output while still keeping 10 mana for CYDSTEPP (he's probably not going to get to 20 anyway--especially if he's using those Glyphs instead of converting them). To be more explicit about it, the fact that it's easy to get piety with Taurog right from the beginning is really nice.

I completely agree that Taurog's retribution is too "swingy" though.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Taurog is great in normal, easy, and a few hard dungeons, but when you reach really hard and Vicious levels, you need to more than 4 potions and 3 furies.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Zaratustra on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:40 pm

An idea for Taurog: Either make his items small or remove the MP penalty. As it is, he's useful in early game because none of the items at the start are much good anyway, but at the end his occupying of five inventory spaces is a real problem.
Zaratustra

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:44 pm

No mana penalty, but make punishment for casts -5 and penalty for 0 piety/desecration -5 mana.

The Avatar

Postby JonahHollow on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:28 am

Binlor's desecration needs to be more powerful, as of now, I always desecrate him if I'm not following, because usually my characters have no resistances anyway.
JonahHollow

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:39 am

But fordragon shield paladins it's devastating...

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:05 am

Basically for people with resistances Binlor's desecration penalty is pretty nasty, but for people without resistances it's inconsequential. It's a lot like Tikki Tooki before weakness was added; a lot of characters don't have first strike anyways, so once you've cleaned up all the status-effect monsters there's really not a lot of penalty there.
Darvin

Postby JonahHollow on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:35 am

So if tiki tooki was bumped up to be more devastating to people without first strike, wouldn't they bump Binlor as well? Perhaps giving all enemies 5 to 10 percent more bonus damage, I don't know.
JonahHollow

Postby Darvin on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:13 am

Giving enemies bonus damage would be a significant better course of action than lowering your resists. Then it's only CYDSTEPP'ers and pure casters that can piss you off.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons