Racial Building Levels

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Racial Building Levels

Postby The Avatar on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Still, no stat difference.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:53 am

Alweth wrote:I agree. If there ever was an RPGish game where there should be a gender difference, it would be Desktop Dungeons, because of the low investment the palyer has in the character. The difficulty might be in actually trying to balance another difference between possible characters.

Hell no... Balancing that would be horribly tricky. What happens if a specific gender+race+class combo pops up as being the only way to play that class, suddenly we're gender stereotyping and "saying things" that were totally not intended. That's not a rabbit hole any of us wants to go down.

We prefer to be up front in what we want to say, which is mostly make fun of fantasy tropes in ways that you might not expect. In that respect, having no gender differences is actually a statement ;)
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:11 am

Lol! Will you still have them anyways?
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby JonahHollow on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:51 am

I think he is, but just as an aesthetic choice, or at least I hope so.

A quick question kind of topic related, when a more graphical UI is implemented for the kingdom screen, when you upgrade a building, is the actual picture of the building going to change? Example: When you upgrade the mage tower, to bloodmage, the text says that the tower actually raises out of the ground, will the kingdom screen then show a floating tower/hovering tower?
JonahHollow

Postby The Avatar on Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 am

Let's hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Alweth on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:28 am

dislekcia wrote:
Alweth wrote:I agree. If there ever was an RPGish game where there should be a gender difference, it would be Desktop Dungeons, because of the low investment the palyer has in the character. The difficulty might be in actually trying to balance another difference between possible characters.

Hell no... Balancing that would be horribly tricky. What happens if a specific gender+race+class combo pops up as being the only way to play that class, suddenly we're gender stereotyping and "saying things" that were totally not intended. That's not a rabbit hole any of us wants to go down.

We prefer to be up front in what we want to say, which is mostly make fun of fantasy tropes in ways that you might not expect. In that respect, having no gender differences is actually a statement ;)

I can buy all of this except the claim that doing exactly what everyone else does is a statement. If that were true, every trope that DD used (of which there are many) would have to be a statement.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby dislekcia on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

JonahHollow wrote:A quick question kind of topic related, when a more graphical UI is implemented for the kingdom screen, when you upgrade a building, is the actual picture of the building going to change? Example: When you upgrade the mage tower, to bloodmage, the text says that the tower actually raises out of the ground, will the kingdom screen then show a floating tower/hovering tower?

Yes. That's one of the reasons that it's taking so long to get the Kingdom interface redone.

Alweth wrote:I can buy all of this except the claim that doing exactly what everyone else does is a statement. If that were true, every trope that DD used (of which there are many) would have to be a statement.

Sorry, I think we may be talking past each other here... I'm saying that people keep wanting characters with the same race/class combination but different genders to be different to each other. We don't want to do that. In fact we're adding a lot of extra art to the game for no gameplay difference whatsoever, simply so that we can have gender be randomly assigned every time you play, because that's something we feel is important. That's what makes it a statement, if we didn't care, we'd just not do it at all.
dislekcia

Postby Alweth on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:20 pm

dislekcia wrote:
Alweth wrote:I can buy all of this except the claim that doing exactly what everyone else does is a statement. If that were true, every trope that DD used (of which there are many) would have to be a statement.

Sorry, I think we may be talking past each other here... I'm saying that people keep wanting characters with the same race/class combination but different genders to be different to each other. We don't want to do that. In fact we're adding a lot of extra art to the game for no gameplay difference whatsoever, simply so that we can have gender be randomly assigned every time you play, because that's something we feel is important. That's what makes it a statement, if we didn't care, we'd just not do it at all.

Okay, I understand that. Not that it makes me any more happy. ;)
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Very true, dislekcia, very, very true.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby JonahHollow on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:36 pm

dislekcia wrote:Sorry, I think we may be talking past each other here... I'm saying that people keep wanting characters with the same race/class combination but different genders to be different to each other. We don't want to do that. In fact we're adding a lot of extra art to the game for no gameplay difference whatsoever, simply so that we can have gender be randomly assigned every time you play, because that's something we feel is important. That's what makes it a statement, if we didn't care, we'd just not do it at all.

Randomly assigned, as in like a 50 % chance you're a male, and a 50 % chance you're a female everytime you go adventuring? :)
JonahHollow

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons