Y U Hate New Players D:

All things Desktop Dungeons

Y U Hate New Players D:

Postby Egglet on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:55 pm

I don't understand why they nerfed the Tri-Sword, Whurgraabl, and The magic penetration wand. I mean, I UNDERSTAND IT, they had good reason to do so, they were trying to balance the item tier list. But I don't see how new players (including myself) are ever going to do anything useful now. They crippled a Melee character's two greatest tools (three if you consider the Dragon Shield nerf), when they were already having a hard time without any reliable means of armor pen, and they have effectively made pure magic characters useless now, since their damage melts as soon as a golem shows up. I'm sure there are alternatives like hybrid characters, advanced strategies, other items, and just other fun stuff, but I don't have access to those tools or knowledge. Yes, I understand that this is raising the skill ceiling, something that is good. But its doing so is also raising the skill floor, something that is terrible.

I couldn't beat slime pits when monks still had a viable source of damage via trisword, or ANY OF THE OTHER QUESTS IM STUCK ON when I still had the option of Bloodmage+Magic Pen'ing my way through them. What am I supposed to do now? I've wasted all of my money attempting these dungeons, and now I'm going to have to grind low level dungeons for a few more hours just so I can fail the hard ones because my only chances of success were nerfed.

/rant
Egglet

Re: Y U Hate New Players D:

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:09 am

Slime pits with monk is probably the single hardest quest in the game. (Excluding Gaan-Telet) So don't be surprised if you can't beat it. Try Bringing a sensory stone, conversion seal, and find HALPMEH as an orc monk. Extremely challenging, I barely beat it. If you can't, wait till they make monks suck less.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:44 am

Along that note, which dungeon do you have to beat for the sensory stone?
I play DD, Sc2, BLC, LoL, and many more. Msg me for games anytime!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby FDru on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:31 am

Kill the havendale bridge troll for the sensory stone.
FDru

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:56 am

Unfortunately, converting it means you will have to pay the 100 gold to retrieve it.

Also, what dungeons/quests do you need help with, cause' I'm always ready to help!
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Egglet wrote:I don't understand why they nerfed the Tri-Sword, Whurgraabl, and The magic penetration wand. I mean, I UNDERSTAND IT, they had good reason to do so, they were trying to balance the item tier list. But I don't see how new players (including myself) are ever going to do anything useful now. They crippled a Melee character's two greatest tools (three if you consider the Dragon Shield nerf), when they were already having a hard time without any reliable means of armor pen, and they have effectively made pure magic characters useless now, since their damage melts as soon as a golem shows up. I'm sure there are alternatives like hybrid characters, advanced strategies, other items, and just other fun stuff, but I don't have access to those tools or knowledge. Yes, I understand that this is raising the skill ceiling, something that is good. But its doing so is also raising the skill floor, something that is terrible.

I couldn't beat slime pits when monks still had a viable source of damage via trisword, or ANY OF THE OTHER QUESTS IM STUCK ON when I still had the option of Bloodmage+Magic Pen'ing my way through them. What am I supposed to do now? I've wasted all of my money attempting these dungeons, and now I'm going to have to grind low level dungeons for a few more hours just so I can fail the hard ones because my only chances of success were nerfed.

/rant

We had to change the melee damage weighting of the game, it was getting honestly ridiculous and causing big issues with things like god balance. Sorry that nerfed some of your fav strategies, but we're always keen to figure out ways to help introduce new strats at the same time, so tell me which quests you're stuck on and what your typical death/fail scenario looks like - plus which races/chars you usually play.

That way we can either re-balance dungeons (which will be happening over the next month at some point) OR have ideas for puzzles that teach useful player skills. Both are wins for everyone :)

BTW: We did make all the dungeons easier when we nerfed the trisword. Also, grinding easier dungeons isn't always a bad thing, you could always find cool stuff in their subdungeons ;)
dislekcia

Postby Egglet on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:08 pm

dislekcia wrote:We had to change the melee damage weighting of the game, it was getting honestly ridiculous and causing big issues with things like god balance. Sorry that nerfed some of your fav strategies, but we're always keen to figure out ways to help introduce new strats at the same time, so tell me which quests you're stuck on and what your typical death/fail scenario looks like - plus which races/chars you usually play.

That way we can either re-balance dungeons (which will be happening over the next month at some point) OR have ideas for puzzles that teach useful player skills. Both are wins for everyone :)

BTW: We did make all the dungeons easier when we nerfed the trisword. Also, grinding easier dungeons isn't always a bad thing, you could always find cool stuff in their subdungeons ;)

<3 for how helpful youre reply was, even in the face of my frustrated rant. Currently, my favorite build is a Goblin Assassin of TT. I don't know why, but it's the one class that I seem to have the easiest time with. My problem with the tri-sword nerf was not that it made my most powerful build's less powerful, it was that it made my least powerful ones less powerful. Like the mission where I have to clear barbarian camp on a wizard without using any glyphs. Human Wizard with Trisword was the only chance I had at that one, and I still couldn't beat it. The only character I could beat the Lava pits with was, once again, a goblin assassin, and I can't seem to kill Sssssstheno with anyone or anything.
Egglet

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Barring abusive strategies, the game has actually became easier over time. In the past, elite items, special potions, half the deity list and a lot of items didn't exist!

So if you wait a few weeks you might not have the problem you are having right now.
TigerKnee

Postby Zalminen on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:25 pm

TigerKnee wrote:In the past, elite items, special potions, half the deity list and a lot of items didn't exist!

Yeah, Strength potion helps a little and Whupaz potion would be even more useful but to get Whupaz I'd first need to finish Complicated tasks pt. 5 which is pretty damn hard especially after the Trisword nerf.

Elite items would be helpful, I assume those require Bazaar level 3 and I've yet to see the quest to get that. I do have the Bank level 3 quest now but I've yet to win Shifting passages.

Yeah, we've gotten a lot more items but a lot of the good ones have already been nerfed and many others are not that useful in the more specific quests.

And more deities just means less of a chance to get the ones you'd prefer and learning to use each deity effectively takes a lot of playing, especially since they are changed so often.

Plus with the current rate of failure I'll soon be forced to do money runs just to afford the preparations for each serious attempt....

Sure, I can probably finish all of the currently unfinished quests eventually (mostly thanks to reading the forum), but since I'm a slow player and have to spend even more time thinking with the more difficult dungeons and I only have limited free time it's a slow process.
Zalminen

Postby gjaustin on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:58 pm

TigerKnee wrote:Barring abusive strategies, the game has actually became easier over time. In the past, elite items, special potions, half the deity list and a lot of items didn't exist!

So if you wait a few weeks you might not have the problem you are having right now.

This is true, but I don't think the elite items, alchemy, dieties, and last tier of potions make up for the Trisword and Dragon Shield nerfs.

It has been harder over the last few weeks since those nerfs then it was for months before that. I'm still struggling to beat Dragon Isle again, just to see if I can.
gjaustin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons