The Fighter

All things Desktop Dungeons

The Fighter

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Much like the Monk, many believe this class to be inferior to just about every other class.

Possible addition: Can have 2 levels of death protection. Why? Because the hero of the story never dies!
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Re: The Fighter

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Yeah, that eliminates the CYDSTEPP problem, but they'd still be fairly weak. Them with CYDSTEPP would have as many hits as a rogue on a non-first striker, but they do less damage. How about in addition to your suggestion, they scout monsters that are higher levels.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm still in favor of having the Fighter's death protection tracked separately from CYDSTEPP and other sources of death protection, with the latter being used up first. It would keep that ability from becoming redundant, without making Fighters any more powerful without the glyph.

And I also like the idea of expanding their monster sense, particularly since with the right preparations you can start out killing monsters several levels above you with little difficulty. Seeing at least one or two levels higher, possibly with the monsters' level indicators but no other information, would be a much more useful ability (without making the class overpowered in the slightest).
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Showing their levels would be a great improvement!

Also, Crawly McCrawlsa's suggestion is a stronger idea than making it separate. In your suggestion, you can only have 3 layers once, presuming you find CYDSTEPP. In his suggestion you can have 3 hits multiple times. (2 precasts and 1 mid-battle cast)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:02 am

My suggestion:

Gains 1 Death Protection per level. Can be stacked up to 2 maximum.

Still probably kind of bad compared to just having Cydstepp but it's essentially a free 10 mana per level I suppose.
TigerKnee

Postby JonahHollow on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:12 am

what if you replaced death protection or just added something like he gains 2-10 extra health on level ups?
JonahHollow

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:12 am

Meh, too much like priests. How about 5% damage per level up?

The Avatar

Postby FDru on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:07 am

Will block first attack from every monster, ignoring damage and any other effects (is not considered a dodge).

Better than one death protection? I certainly think so.
FDru

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:09 am

Kind like first strike, except better. (Works against all monsters) In addition to first strike, this could be very powerful.

Also, I disagree with ignoring effects, I think effects only and no damage. Or no effects but 1/3 of the damage is dealt.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:04 am

I'm still in favour of just having his death protection refresh every time he levels up. This would allow him to stack with CYDSTEPP (which is quite often exhausted by the very attack that caused you to level up) and give him the ability to actually use his class feature reasonably often.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons