[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Fighter

The Fighter

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The Fighter

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:27 am

Hmmm along the dodge/ignore damage thingy, how about some sort of absorb? You get 50% damage reduction on the first hit against you by each monster.

The only problem is that it would mess up the game's predictions of fight outcomes. You wouldn't be able to tell if you could survive a fight or not. THAT would be gamebreakingly obnoxious.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby FDru on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 am

FDru

Postby FDru on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:54 am

FDru

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:14 am

Actually, it's accurate for resistances currently. There is a problem with lifesteal, warlords who drop below half health due to an enemy attack, and 1 other thing I can't remember currently. Oooh, there's an attack bug that stacks with whupaz too. Can't remember what it is off the top of my head though.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby FDru on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:42 am

It may or may not be accurate but usually when dealing with wraiths I am going to hit them with a few fireballs and then one physical attack to finish. I know how many fireballs its going to take, I know how many physical attacks its going to take, but I don't know if the combination of 1 physical + fireballs is going to work.

I guess this is mostly my ignorance about the damage calculations and rounding out damage amounts after resistances, though. Otherwise I could just use a calculator and figure it out. Either way it's kind of a hassle.
FDru

Postby SnapDragon on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, the combat prediction also doesn't work for the Sorcerer's Mana Shield. It doesn't tell you that the monster will die if it's from the extra Mana Shield damage. (The life bar shading is probably also subtly wrong.)
SnapDragon

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Yeah, wraiths are super annoying when it comes to combat prediction.

How about damage reduction for fighters, something like 1 per level?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:25 pm

The Fighter is supposed to be weak. It's the starting class for crying out loud. Everything about the fighter is designed to create a vanilla feeling and boost players who don't know any tactics without being overpowered... If it were made stronger, what impetus would players have for trying out the other classes? You move on from the Fighter, that's what it's for.
dislekcia

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:05 pm

TigerKnee

Postby q 3 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:23 pm

I don't like the idea of a class that intentionally becomes obsolete, unless (as with the Guard class) it is removed from the game once it no longer serves a purpose. My suggestion (death protection tracked separately from CYDSTEPP and expanded monster sense with level indicators) would allow the Fighter to remain more viable into the harder dungeons, without making him any more powerful for new players (and without radically changing any of his abilities). Alternatively, maybe you could include a secret fourth level Guild quest that would unlock the upgraded Fighter, once the player has proven that they no longer need a newbie class. As it is, beyond a certain point the Fighter is just deadweight; there's no reason to take him into a hard or vicious dungeon except for the added challenge of a crippled character.
q 3

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons