[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Fighter

The Fighter

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The Fighter

Postby Gorgon on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Gorgon

Postby Darvin on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:58 pm

And mana leak is situational.

I think they should simply remove the penalties from all boons, but raise piety costs. I mean if dracul can fully restore your hp why can't MA do the same to your mp? Magic costs 5(+4) for 1 max mp. Refreshment costs 30-40(+15) and fully restores your mp. Weakening costs 25(+5) and lowers enemy magic res by 10. Flames costs 50-60 and adds 1 fireball damage per level. Mana leak stays the same. Glyph Magnet becomes an on worship effect.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:54 am

I think the devs want to keep penalties attached to Mystera's boons - check the quote on her altar - and that's a completely reasonable choice, provided that the penalties don't almost always outweigh the benefits. The problem is just that; right now, her penalties almost always outweigh her benefits. I wouldn't trade +1 max MP for +3% monster resists even if it cost zero piety, but I could definitely see the advantage in trading, say, +3 max MP for +2% monster resists. +1 fireball damage per level is a terrible trade for -50% base damage, particularly now that fireballs now have so many more counters than they did in the alpha, but +2 fireball damage per level in exchange for -25% base damage would be a fair trade. It shouldn't be too hard to tweak her stats so that her boons are neither no brainers nor completely toxic. And she definitely needs an on worship effect, at the very least summoning BURNDAYRAZ. In comparsion, Binlor both gives you more piety per MP spent (even for Berserkers!) and gives you a glyph so you can get started right away; finding Mystera before you've found any useable glyphs is pure frustration.
q 3

Postby pRaz on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:03 pm

I think both of the above ideas are great. With Taurog being such an all-around good god for fighter-types (or anyone, really) it would make sense to have one all-around good mage-type god (Mystera). Right now most of the gods are completely situational, except Taurog, who is almost always a good idea to worship considering how easy it is to gain way more piety than you'll ever need, even if you're playing a caster.
pRaz

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Dracul and GG are always good choices, excluding drac in crypt, because their boons are all purpose. Also, the +2 fireball damage would make casters playable again! Also, I like the idea q 3 but refreshment is still useless... Hmm... maybe a one off boon that refills your mana, but damages your hp by 9 per level. Sort of like a worse form of the Bloodmage potion. And I'd like to see Weakening become a one off boon that removes all magic resistance.

There is still a minor problem with casters: Counter Fireball! I think piercing wand should remove it and 3% physical resist along with the normal 3% magic res.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Gorgon on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:42 pm

I like the suggestion. Piercing wand's '+1 mp per cast' is too counteracting and -3% magic resistance is too little. Either that, or it should remove 7% magic resistance.
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Yes, but the Physical removal is a one-two punch against goo blobs, and counter fireball is SUPER CHEAP!

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:51 pm

There's only one boss with counters-fireball, and to be entirely honest it's really not much worse than weakening if you're ready for it. I'd certainly say the current incarnation of animated armors are much nastier than anything with the ability to counter fireballs.

Really, expanding and improving on the lackluster "slow" effect would probably be the best way to deal with "counter fireball" monsters. Right now you have to pay a whopping eight mana to get a slow effect, which only lasts for one attack. Either this needs to last a little longer, or the mana cost of that glyph needs to be toned down.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Idea! Wand grants slow effect!

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons