Really Enjoying the Beta

All things Desktop Dungeons

Really Enjoying the Beta

Postby Alweth on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:20 pm

Just wanted to say that I am really enjoying playing the beta version of Desktop Dungeons. Besides the core gameplay from the alpha, I think some of the things that I really enjoy in the beta are:

- The much increased variety in the dungeons, quests, and monsters.
- The large variety in items.
- More balance.
- More goals to keep working towards.
- Everything else you've done.

Please keep up the good work!
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Re: Really Enjoying the Beta

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:46 pm

Incredibly true, I could not agree more.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby ironicmuffin on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 pm

I would agree as well, though I must admit I hit walls of frustration from time to time when it doesn't seem like I can win any of these quests.

I still feel like I'm missing some core strategies with some of these classes, and unfortunately, my only resource is hoping someone posted about it in this forum.

With that said, I'm still back after a day or two. The unlockables offer a rich reward system, and it does make me want to keep coming back. Not to mention I hear people talking about cool stuff that I don't have yet on the forum, which makes me want ti even more.

All in all, it is an extremely positive, challenging experience. Similar to games like Demon's Souls, the brutal difficulty makes the victories that much more euphoric.
ironicmuffin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Well, once we finish are currently small "full" portion of the wiki it shouldn't be too frustrating knowing that there is a strategy you can look up if worst comes to worst.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby JonahHollow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Beta is great so far for me to. Sometimes I feel like if we complain to much about the problems it does have on the forums, the developers will consider me ungrateful, but I can't express how awesome this game is :)
JonahHollow

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:20 pm

THIS IS BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just making sure you don't think I'm ungrateful.

The Avatar

Postby Gorgon on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Yeah, I really feel ungrateful when I complain, but I love this game!
Gorgon

Postby pRaz on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm

I definitely agree - when they say that the beta is so much more than the free version, they're not kidding (and I hope there's still a decent amount of content coming before launch!)

I haven't gotten into the late areas of the game yet, but so far the difficulty curve is great. Rather than the normal roguelike system of "win or die", I really enjoy this take on things, where each small victory lets you unlock things to help take on the tougher dungeons. There are still a few balance issues (I think Fighter, Bloodmage and to a lesser extent Monk are underpowered/boring) but overall things are coming along nicely (I like how gods behave now, most of them were useless in the alpha).

Keep it up guys.
pRaz

Postby dislekcia on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Hahahaha, thanks for the thread :)

FYI, we do sometimes joke about the hardcore players hating everything we do: "That's ok, they'd hate the opposite too right?" That said, you're all still playing the game, which means we know something's going right.

Current content plans are to actually prune some dungeons and polish the content up, make sure everything we launch with is solid. Then it's time to start working on sub-dungeons and puzzles, half tutorial for classes/tactics, half bastard hard things that will be horribly mean. Just like you'd expect.
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:30 pm

Yes more incredibly obnoxious and hard things!

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons