[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Troubling Times pt 1

Troubling Times pt 1

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Troubling Times pt 1

Postby q 3 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:59 pm

It's a great place to try out the new Monk.

Haven't gotten to Gorgons yet, but the Half-dragon seems to be about the same as he was in the alpha. The difference, of course, being that you have a lot more conversion points now than you did in the alpha; 200% knockback damage would be fairly brutal. Too bad most of the vicious bosses aren't set up very well for knockback, although I suspect he could splatter Namtar pretty easily (especially since magic attack will be incredibly helpful in that dungeon).
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:00 pm

Yeah, but that requires a soul orb, and you'd have to use some potions on boss 1.

GOT IT!!!!! Used a monk, a rogue and a berserker. The monk is now quite a good class... I pulled elven boots which gave me the extra 10 resistances. (Cause I was an orc with a conversion seal)

Half-Dragons are pretty good, especially if you get resistances, but with Binlor they are AWESOME! Prepared a conversion stone and seal, bought and converted a couple items, and then took stone fist. The boss didn't stand long to 250%. Also, Half-Dragons could be good in Naga city, at humble level 10 you have 250 hp. If you grab blood shield, enlightenment, and a dragon shield, that is about 50%. That tanks 500 damage, and with HALPMEH that could be 740 not counting extra knockback damage, or if you grabbed absolution.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Gunna take me a while to get these guys... Gnome Warlord is a shoe-in for both scenarios with new Jehora, and of course I have my Berserker win on Dragon Isles and Thief win on Naga city (used to have Rogue on Dragon Isles, but that got cleared). Probably will do gnome assassin for my third on the Dragon Isles, but still not sure on how to approach my third class for Naga City. Probably as good a place as any to try the new Monk out.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Gnome warlord was considerable trouble with dragon isles, unfortunately... monk works quite well, though. My first time I found Taurogs alter I won. It took me 3 CYDSTEPP finds a rogue, so that's saying something.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 pm

You prepared the Symbol! I completely forgot! Well, I got through 4 bosses with the strategy, but Ultra SMM, Über Goo and More Tormented One all appeared in one wave. It was then I realized I had converted BURNDAYRAZ. Barely got through SMM using all my potions remaining. I didn't last long after that.

I recommened monk for dragon isles. It took me an hour to win with a rogue, but I won really fast as a monk. (It took me 20 tries to spawn a CYDSTEPP!)

Half-Dragon seems like a good 3rd choice for Naga City. You just do what you did with the theif. The only real problems are going to be Bleaty and the Iron Man. Bleaty especially.

EDIT: I got 7! Without a Keg of Mana! If I pulled a Keg of Mana, an Agnostics Collar, and an easy boss in my first batch to immediately level up off without expending too many resources. (Tomithy Pleeeeeease)

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:13 pm

They are going to have to back off the bosses stats to non-grimm grotto level if you EVER want to beat it with 3 classes.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:41 am

Heh, I already did Naga City with a Rogue and Wizard, so I finally got around to a Thief victory as well. Gorgons also look to be the same as their alpha incarnation, except not only do we now have a lot more conversion points, we also have the dreaded Can of Whupazz - figure out a way to get 1100 conversion points, and you can two-shot any boss. :)

One minor bug - Gorgons don't display any of their class features when you mouse over them during class selection, just their conversion ability. I'd also like to request that monster and special classes be visible outside of class selection, inside their buildings (e.g., like you can view Fighters by opening the Guild menu). If they could also somehow appear in the same column as the other classes, that would be excellent (especially if that moves the Alchemist over, too, since it's weird having that one building on the left while selecting preparations).
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:57 am

I finally got it with the Gnome Warlord! (Ugh, just one more win in this infernal dungeon)

How do you beat it as a wizard? 2 mp HALPMEH? What race? What god? I have no idea how to get a 3rd win...

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:10 am

Gnome Wizard with HALPMEH, but that was back when Dracul was still handing out max MP like candy on Halloween (that's actually how he celebrates Halloween - but only if you're on his naughty list). Might still be feasible with JJ and a Keg of Mana.

A couple other Gorgon oddities - Earthmother does not grant piety for death gaze kills (and penalizes death gaze on plants; there goes my fun). Killing a monster with BURNDAYRAZ will still petrify it. A death gaze kill incurs no counterattack - like the Assassin's Swift Hand, it's instant death if the monster's HP is low enough (this will bypass a monster's first strike, but note that death gaze does not work on a monster that still has death protection). Theoretically, that last bit means you could one shot any boss, including the Tower's boss (throw in a dodge for your Whupaz strike and you can do 5000 HP worth of damage without your ever taking a hit or spending any MP).
q 3

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons