Gorgons!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Gorgons!

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm super confused on why they weakened their physical resistance. Here's my suggestion:

Sapphire Body: 30% resist everything, -50% attack, poisonous and lower resist (2% every hit)
Sister of Stone: Start with 10% death gaze, Start with ENDISWALL
Pureblood: Potion effects are halved, immune to bad effects (Poison, mana burn, weakening, corrosion, lower resists, death gaze)

100 conversion points grants +5% death gaze.

Yeah, it's probably an awful idea, but the synergy with whupaz will be able to guaranty a level 1 boss kill on most hard missions, (once death gaze works) but be awful on everything else. It is the ultimate one trick pony, where more than one boss immediately kills it, but one it always beats. And as for the 50% potions, for whupaz this means instead of watching it drop to 65% it will be 82%. 65+(30/2). Strength means 1 mp for 1 base damage, and schadenfreude grants 1 mp per enemies damage/2
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Rather than nerfing potions just to reduce the effect of one specific potion that isn't even available in shops, I would suggest simply making it harder to get that much death gaze. Start them at 15% and add 3% every 90 points; you'd need 1530 conversion points to do a two hit kill with Whupaz, which I'm pretty sure is nearly impossible. The reduced death gaze would actually justify giving them better stats, too.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:46 pm

That would fix the whupaz problem, but then they would suck overall. Then they'd need 30% resist all and -30-40% damage, or something like that. Perhaps just -1-2 base damage per level.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Well, the simplest "fix" would be to make it so that a monster who is hit with Whupaz becomes immune to death gaze. If that's too inelegant of a change, maybe have Whupaz add a layer of death protection to whichever monster it affects (death protection prevents death gaze) and probably increase its potency a bit to compensate (reduce to 55 or 60% HP).
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:51 pm

I don't think you should buff the entire potion because of one class. I like the conversion point fix, but it should also include +3% resistances to make it fair. And I think -2 base damage per level is a better damage reduction than -50%.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Even without taking Whupaz into account, Gorgons are going to be difficult to balance. (Note that, although my death gaze was at 80% when I actually fought the boss, it did not activate until he was at about 10% HP.) Granted, "kill the sub boss at Havendale Bridge to get a second Sensation Stone" is neither a viable level 1 strategy, nor does it work in any other dungeon (unless that Berserker boss still randomly appears in subdungeons, but I haven't seen him in a while). But if I had gotten Pactmaker instead of GG, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten to 100% death gaze even without the second Sensation Stone. Yikes. (Even with my above suggestion of 3% per 90 points with 15% base, that would have been a total of 75%. Yikes again.)
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Hmm.. now that you can convert items, it is devilishly tricky to balance... what to do

The Avatar

Postby Gorgon on Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Just cap their death gaze at 50% and give them -50% effect from potions. They would need a power-up after that, but they wouldn't be unbalanced anymore.

Most unbalancing problems are caused when it's possible to get an absurd stat from overusing an item or a race.
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:04 am

Cap at 65% like resistances, 30% resist all, 50% potions, and -1 base damage per level

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Actually, we went with a completely different solution to what all of you have suggested so far: Change death gaze.

It doesn't instantly kill monsters below X% health anymore, now it deals your base damage as unblockable, unresistable damage before any other strikes happen when an enemy is below X% health. It's triggering every time you hit an enemy below X% health (you'll note that your damage prediction suddenly spikes) but it means that you're not dealing ludicrous amounts of damage for free, you still have to exchange hp for damage.

The new player death gaze still works from the enemy side: You could easily imagine that Gorgon enemies have high base damage but nerfed percentages, so they'll do a huge amount of unresitable damage right off the bat if you're below their death gaze threshold, which will kill you and turn you to stone. Players don't have as much health as bosses and high level enemies, so it's more obviously different when fighting things with huge hp pools.
dislekcia

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons