DD vs Desktop Dungeons Special

All things Desktop Dungeons

DD vs Desktop Dungeons Special

Postby Gwizz41 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:39 am

I've just learned of this game & played a few hours with the Free downloadable version. I quite like it & would like to know what the main differences are between Free>Normal>Special?

Is there much difference between the Free & Normal $10.00 version? especially the Normal version vs the Special Edition one?

Does the $20.00 version really offer that much more as it costs twice as much? I've read it contains a new character & a few extra quests....is it worth it?

I can afford the $10.00 version now but would have to wait a week or so if I were to purchase the Special Edition one.

Thanks!
Gwizz41

Re: DD vs Desktop Dungeons Special

Postby dislekcia on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:39 pm

We had to stop adding things to the free version because the underlying structures just couldn't take it anymore... So the paid version represents what we've wanted to do with the game's design: There's an overarching metagame, quests, better player self-determination, a Kingdom you build up over time, preparations that you can take into dungeons, way more dungeons to find, re-balanced classes/races/gods, etc. :)

The Special Edition exists simply to support development: It's a way for players that really enjoy the game to say thanks and keep us going until the game's finished. They get a limited edition version of the game (we won't have the special edition up for sale after release) with an extra class and building. Note that the extra content isn't needed to get anywhere in the game, it's all bonus. It's so bonus that it doesn't exist in the beta as yet.

If you're enjoying the free version and want to expand what you're playing, then I'd suggest picking up the $10 normal version (which will be $15 when complete) - or if you're not sure, keep playing the free version and wait for the game to be complete so you can take a look at the demo :)
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Is there a way to upgrade the $10 version to the $75 one?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:00 pm

I wish, Lujo! THey sold out SUPER fast... I didn't even know they were selling them at the time...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JonahHollow on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:41 pm

I was planning on buying the 75 dollar, but they were sadly out when I had tried.
JonahHollow

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:44 pm

They went out the day they came out... Which was awhile ago...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Yeah, the $75 editions are all done (we actually sold 21, not 20, due to the second-last purchase being an overnight transfer) - loads of people have asked if they can upgrade, which I take as a sign that we're doing something right with this game ;)
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:50 am

Well, since people are offering to shower you with money, is there a contractual barrier on you allowing for another run? I mean, allowing for one more "package" of 75$ ones could bring you as much funds as selling quite a number of regluar ones, and I'd still pay just for the help and content, without the need to burden you with squeezing my name into the game...

And yes, the game is great, that's why I'm being so harsh critisizing it - I'd like to see it go live the best it can be :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:07 am

I'd pay for a mention in the credits. Even though nobody ever looks at the credits...

I can't imagine anything awesomer than getting mention, or even naming a boss, in the game. Actually, I'd love to name a boss. Or a dungeon. Or anything. I'M BEGGING TO PAY YOU!

Also, the special edition content is the same as the exclusive content I'm pretty sure.

Plus, you guys are awesome. You deserve my $75. You really do.

The Avatar

Postby Gwizz41 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:58 am

dislekcia thanks for your honest approach....no hard sell there :)

I had in fact already brought the $10 Beta before I had time to read your reply.

I'm glad I made the purchase, the game really does offer so much more content over the Alpha & judging by the latest comments made for the $75 version...you guys really are on to a winner!

**Edit
Immensely enjoyable so far, can't wait for the finished product.
Last edited by Gwizz41 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gwizz41

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons