[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Troubling Times pt 2

Troubling Times pt 2

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Troubling Times pt 2

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Gaan-Telet! HOW? IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE?

EDIT: I almost won! If I had brought the RBS I would of... First, you must find a % giving item (Whurgaburgl or Gauntlets) and a Viper Ward. Then, take Taurog for the armor pieces, but skip the shield. When you reach Dracul, convert and take Blood Shield, and kill any remaining monsters to gain over 25 piety. Kill everything else till you reach the boss, and regen fight him too!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby subanark on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:02 pm

Never used Taurog. Sensation stone + conversion seal does wonders. I went with GG, got humility for that extra 5 base damage at level 10 (and extra perk from patches). Converted to Drac for blood shield, converted to Mysteria for safety (earth mother would have probably worked out better). I ended up with 75% resist thanks to patches. Had a high attack due to converting almost everything.

You don't really need a viper ward, just burn though your potions if you have too (and try and get there before 10 to level up off of one), or take the 2 piety hit for using heal. Now, if you can get an agnostics collar (which I did, but didn't buy), you can start smashing alters for all that piety needed to convert.
subanark

Postby q 3 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:40 pm

q 3

Postby subanark on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:08 pm

The problem with monks, is that they effectively get double value of resist until they hit the cap. Going from 50 - 60% is a 20% reduction in damage. While 0 - 10% is a 10% reduction. Really, though, it is the health regeneration bonus that saves monks here. Their ability to recover faster helps a lot.

I could see an argument for a paladin pulling this off with their starting physical resist. Worship Drac for all the life steal you can muster, use an antagonistic collar to boost your piety. Dragon's shield + initial resist bonus + blood shield = 58% resist. Pac master can either get you an extra life steal, or with body can push you put to 64% with the last 5 meat man, and the boss (possibly save 1 low level with RBS for slow strikes to get that last 1%). A big issue is the wizards though, you might have to burn though a lot of potions, or find a death protection to get past them.

I could possible see a bloodmage with their ability to recover health from blood pools, but I kind of doubt it.
subanark

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:23 pm

I dunno, I think monk and Transmuter are the ones...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby subanark on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:36 pm

subanark

Postby subanark on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:15 am

Alright, did it again (since it didn't save the first time it didn't save.
Preperations: Dragon shield, Patches, Piety, Health -> Attack, 50G, RBS, Shop scroll, Strength, Wupazz, Schadenfreude, mana, health, compression seal.

Bought: Trisword, Midian gloves, fine sword, converted everything else.
Glyphs: Healing (start), converted all others upon finding them, even fireball.

Strat:
Agressive level building. Finding the trisword is pretty much needs to be scummed, fine sword is helpful, midian gloves help for buying everything, soul orb would have made boss easier. Anything that increases your attack really helps here. A compression seal is optional, as you can hold off buying everything you want until you hit level 10 and convert patches. With tri-sword, use healing potions for the 5 level 9 banits. Start on first subdunegon at level 4 to maximize your level ups when fighting bandits. If you haven't used all your health potions by then, just use them when it is good to get that extra attack and avoid wasting more tiles than necessary. Try to figure out the best items to buy/convert to maximize your extra attack power bonus. The dragons will hurt but are doable. The wizards will almost kill you, but you should have enough resist to avoid that (unless you have horrid luck with patches not giving you extra resist or health). When you hit zombies, worship drac and grab Blood shield. Don't get life steal as that will lower your resist cap, which you should be pretty close, if not hit now. Everything else in the dungeon should be easily manageable. When you get to the boss, pop your can of wupazz and Schadenfreude. If you don't have the soul orb, you will get mana burned but you will have mana and can heal yourself. You also won't get re-mana burned so if you hit again, you won't lose any mana. When you run out of health/mana, pop a mana potion and regenerate health/mana while using any spare mana for helath, as you will lose it again when you hit the boss. When you run out of mana potions, convert your healing glyph, wack the boss until low on health. Then ask drac for blood swell, and keep doing so until you run out of piety. When you do, ask pack master for 50 piety to get that final blood sweel. If you haven't beat the boss by then (first time took all 4 goes, second only took 2). Then just regen health naturally and hopefully kill boss.

All in all, I think the paladin is actually easier, since it requires less summing. You only need to scumm for 1 item, and even then it might be possible to squeeze by without it, if you have the right combination of items.
subanark

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Preps: Tri-Sword, Patches, Piety, HP -> ATT, 50G, RBS, Quest Items, Whupazz, Fortitude, Burn Salve, Mana, Health, Compression seal.

Bought: Elven Boots, Gloves of Midas, Dwarven Gauntlets, Agnostic's Collar, a potion, converted everything else. Converted the boots after warlocks.

Glyphs: Halpmeh (I converted fireball, seeing as i didn't have soul orb). I could've used Lemisi (it's REALLY good with monk in Gaan'Telet, and makes his run MUCH easier than Paladins in any combination), and this took me a couple of runs solely because of the Snake level (i was using a human monk, but unless you find halpmeh, you need halfling for the potions).

Maxed Resists with: Taurogs Armor, Elven Boots, 3 hits from Patches. I only took one blood swell from Dracul, and with Agnostic's collar and only 2 defiled altars, I only needed patches for the extra mana in case i have to take 2 boons from Taurog). Elven boots could've been Taurog's Helm as well.

Important boons: Taurogs Armor (and Helm, but I found Elven boots), Humility (for the insta level up), Tiki Tooki's DODGE (seriously, not only is he a great piety farm, and would've been better if I didn't convert fireball, but dodge saves resources), and I did take one blood swell from Drac.

Deity notes: Taurog is great for the start (as in ASAP), since you can farm piety off starting Dragons while you level up, and his spell penalty is negligable. I took the armor, and the Helm (left helm lying there, didn't need it). GG is taken for Humility, and I guess you can squeeze in a cleansing if you need one after the bandits (or if patches screws you over). I didn't take drac (as I had max resists), but when EM was clear, I took Tiki Tooki for the dodge and to get out of GG, then Took EM for gameplay ease (also squeezed 2-3 vine forms and a clearance off her). At the boss, I used all my potions first, then converted halpmeh, used my potions again (thought i was going for drac), but since i had agnostic collar, went back to Taurog at some point to pick up the sword, then went Drac and took a blood swell.

Monk major points: You need quick resists, and you need inventory space. Fireball is not really needed past the first 2 levels except for farming Tiki piety (because of the RBS). The most important problem is getting a way to cure poison for the Snake Level, and getting either a Halpmeh or a Lemissi (both have pro's and cons, getting both makes the dungeon laughable). Also, besides being unbalanced the triling is a good choice as he converts into healing potions which cure poison, and patches can easily turn out more trouble than he's worth with poison and manaburn (seeing as you can max your resists with Taurog and Drac, patches is there to compensate for the mana lost on Taurog, or if lucky, to max out you resists very early).

Now that I'm loaded with booty, I think I'll try the paladin :) Oh, and this was a really sloppy playthrough, I'm sure it can be done a lot better/easier.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:31 pm

What's up with everyone suddenly deciding to beat gauntlet? Was it weakened recently or is there some other things inspiring people to do it.
TigerKnee

Postby subanark on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:36 pm

subanark

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons