[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Easiest/Hardest monsters?

Easiest/Hardest monsters?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Easiest/Hardest monsters?

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:45 am

I was curious what everyone thought were the easy targets and which ones are considered hard. I'm not talking about bosses, I'm talking about normal monsters.

Easiest "Normal" Monster: Gorgon. She has ultra low stats and a special power that usually doesn't matter. You can routinely beat a level 9 gorgon at level 4 or 5.

Easiest "Special" Monster: Probably the Druids from the western forest maps. The single dose of death protection doesn't make up for the low stats. I still think that the Gorgon is easier though.

Hardest "Normal" Monster: I'm going to give this to the Zombie. He has no special powers, but his high hit points and damage make him very hard to challenge from a lower level. There's no special angle you can take to get at this guy. He doesn't rely on specific resistances or nasty powers, he just hands you your ass.

Hardest "Special" Monster: Animated Armor. I don't know of any other monster that requires so many resources to take down. If I see a level 9 AA, I just write that off as unobtainable experience.
Sidestepper

Re: Easiest/Hardest monsters?

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:51 am

That seems about correct.

Goat is a pretty easy "normal" monster as well.
TigerKnee

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:08 am

The Goat definitely gets the 'honorable' mention for weakest monster. Low hit points and an inconsequential resistance make him an easy target. There's a reason why Bleaty is always so pissed off.
Sidestepper

Postby q 3 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:09 am

Imps and Shades are both pretty weak for special monsters.

Frozen Trolls are, IMO, even bigger bastards than Animated Armors - unless you get Binlor and BLUDTOPOWA very early on, a level 7+ Frozen Troll is basically unkillable. And their resistance to WEYTWUT makes them significantly more obnoxious when one is blocking an entire passageway.

Outside of Creeplight, Cultists are annoying because they steal your bonus xp - leaving behind a monster one level lower, and an obnoxiously strong Zombie to boot.
q 3

Postby Alweth on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:50 am

Everything in this thread is about right IMO.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby Darvin on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:22 am

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:19 pm

I don't really find Goo Blobs all that hard, regardless of class. Sure they have a high resist to physical, but their overall health is fairly low. Even a Berserker can afford to hit them with a Fireball and wear the down.

They certainly aren't Zombies or Goblins where even the lower level ones can cause problems.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Gorgon, Goat and Bandit are the easies normal monsters, and dungeons which contain them are ussually significantly easier overall in my expirience.

Zombies are by far the hardest, because of the stats and being undead. Seriously, what IS the point of balance for zombies, there seems to be none -.- Everything else can be traced to a +/- HP, +/- DMG, +/- ABILITY, but they have both good HP, good DMG and since paladin does nothing against the undead, the only time it's any sort of downside is against a priests melee. Wut?

This is one of the things that should be looked into IMO, since it was known even back in alpha - Frank the Zombie was, by some margin, the hardest boss to deal with. And he made the Crypt dungeon harder than the Factory (which was ment to be harder). And he was nothing but a souped up zombie, with DMG/HP ratio simmilar to the SMM, but with more burst (and not hitting to hard was SMM's point of weakness, as well as the fact that you could poison SMM, while you couldn't poison the fat and robust Frank). In the least, we need some anti-undead gear, either a potion, a keg of dmg potions, a small item or a regular item.

Hardest non-basic monsters are ofc. Ice Troll and Animated Armor. Ice Trolls required me to pack the Really Big Sword to pass the witch quest pt. 5, and after about lvl 5 take too much resourcess to kill. And Animated armours...

Are another thing that needs to be looked at... In alpha they were a gimmick monster made specifficaly to annoy the living crap out of melee classes in the nominally hardest dungeon (event though the cryt was harder due to having Frank around). They were meant to be avoided by them, and used as insta catapult fodder for casters. But if I remember correctly, they alway's had 1 HP (except in the Boss Hive, the only place besides the Factory that had them, and there every monster had "boss stats"). They were the Cydstep-Rogue of monsters, excet now they're Cydstep-Dwarven-Rogues which you can't regen fireball, and still can't melle past a certain (low) point. And they're all over the place, which is why i play as much assasin as I do - not having to pay attention to them, and still get some XP is a huge leg up in any level where they are common.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Frozen Trolls are now 50% resistances, so they're really not that bad with their awful stats. But animated armors, that's a problem... and yes, there does need to be a way to deal with undead. It is a very good thing to be unless there's a priest around. If you compare the Grimm's Grotto bosses, the 100% hp for them is 444. The 100% damage is 105. Frank has 888 hp, 105 damage, and undead. They need to lower his hp to 1.5 average (444 in this case) or lower his damage.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Which would make him SMM light, that can't be poisoned. They have to make the "Undead" trait matter, really, it seems to justify a lot on no basis whatsoever, at least as far as Zombies are concerned. Especially in the dungeons with current Animated Armors and upped stats - takes way too much resources to deal with high lvl monsters...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons