[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - New Abilites Suggestions

New Abilites Suggestions

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: New Abilites Suggestions

Postby Fran on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:10 pm

How about adding a custom class in the game itself in the first place?
The player could choose 3 abilities from a pool of already existing/unlocked ones and tweak their numbers.
The class wouldn't count in order to unlock anything /quests.
You could experiment all you want and give yourself challenges without removing the difficulty of the overall game, even without being a modder yourself!
Fran

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:11 pm

gjaustin

Postby TigerKnee on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Yeah, it's quite funny that you can make a strictly better Monk just by removing an ability that is purely downside (as opposed to the Wizard's or Berserker's abillity, which is both downside/upside.)

Come on devs, roll it into one ability already and then give the Monk another.
TigerKnee

Postby Fran on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Fran

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:25 pm

gjaustin

Postby Fran on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:59 pm

This sounds like a good idea, although i think that i wouldn't be able to unlock the class this way :D

Maybe you could unlock the class in midgame and have to unlock the abilities?
You get the first/least useful ability of a class by beating any normal dungeon with the class, the second beating any hard and third/most useful beating a (specific?) vicious dungeon? There's still the reward part without locking less skillfull players out.

I think the Monk and Transmuter will be changed somehow sometime in a way that they are more balanced.
Fran

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Uber challenge:
Monk's "Hand to Hand", Wizard's "Magic Affinity", Transmuter's "Earth Focus". Now try to win.
-55% starting attack bonus, -2 base damage per level.
-5 starting mana, no natural mana regen.
glyphs cost -1.

Lol, suicide?

Or even swap -25% damage and glyph cost reduction for rogue's -5 health per level but +50% damage. Cut your health in half and only recieve 20% bonus attack after all is said and done.
And what about vampire's "Damned" No resistances, exhausted when not fully healed, restores only 1 health per tile.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Ouch. You could have some super crappy combos, and some gamebreaking ones too. I think when you beat Gaan-Telet you can unlock the chamber of the gods. A dungeon where you can edit anything (monsters type, the boss, shops, altars, class abilities). You can't change the balance of the game by spawning unlimited glyphs, but you can change them to get good combos.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Fran on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:54 pm

I like the idea to have a dungeon you can build yourself, although in my opinion, it would be pointless to limit the custom classes to this dungeon:
After all, you could just rebuild the other dungeons in the edit dungeon. It would only produce unnecessary work for the player without restricting him to do the other dungeons.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:58 pm

You said it doesn't count for completion but you could still grab a dragon shield or Avatar Sumbol if Gaan-Telet was the first Vicious you beat.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons