What advanced tactics can I start applying in all dungeons?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What advanced tactics can I start applying in all dungeo

Postby q 3 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:13 pm

There really isn't any dungeon that requires scumming, outside of the Witch's last couple of challenges or trying to beat a vicious dungeon without preparations, but it does make things go a lot easier. Thankfully the Scout Altar preparation makes scumming for deities fairly easy, and deities are generally the most helpful thing to scum for (unless you really need CYDSTEPP). For me, the most important thing is just having a good sense early on for when a run is highly likely to fail, at which point I'd rather not waste my time struggling.
q 3

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 pm

q 3 wrote:There really isn't any dungeon that requires scumming, outside of the Witch's last couple of challenges or trying to beat a vicious dungeon without preparations, but it does make things go a lot easier. Thankfully the Scout Altar preparation makes scumming for deities fairly easy, and deities are generally the most helpful thing to scum for (unless you really need CYDSTEPP). For me, the most important thing is just having a good sense early on for when a run is highly likely to fail, at which point I'd rather not waste my time struggling.

Yeah, that's a good point.

It's an especially useful skill in Slime Pits and Magma Mines. If you get the wrong mix of weakening, corrosion, etc. monsters, you might as well grab all the gold and leave.

And then there was that run of the Crypt (my first try at Purist) when I got 7 (SEVEN!) level 1 Vampires. There goes my bonus experience...
gjaustin

Postby Gwizz41 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:14 pm

I keep trying to complete the quest; Halflings, ho! and took no preparations as I was out of gold having lost it on prior attempts.

Most of the above tips I've tried to implement but they're not working!....the enemy's which are only 1 or 2 levels above my current level do too much damage & kill in one hit, take mana or have too much health. (this is especially noticeable on quests)

The following screenshot is my best attempt but still no where near good enough to win....does it tell what I'm doing wrong?

Code: Select all
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/PulpFact/01.jpg
Gwizz41

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Look at your early game. As a level 1 sorcerer you should be able to take level 3 that don't kill you. Take a tri-sword if you're playing as a halfling. Use gods that elongate your game. Heck, I bet you can beat that using just Taurog and unstoppable furies with a tri-sword. And if you get an awful god (SMM, Goo, Wraith, or Bleaty) just try again.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Gwizz41 wrote:I keep trying to complete the quest; Halflings, ho! and took no preparations as I was out of gold having lost it on prior attempts.

Most of the above tips I've tried to implement but they're not working!....the enemy's which are only 1 or 2 levels above my current level do too much damage & kill in one hit, take mana or have too much health. (this is especially noticeable on quests)

The following screenshot is my best attempt but still no where near good enough to win....does it tell what I'm doing wrong?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/PulpFact/01.jpg

Despite sounding like it should be easy, Halflings Ho is one of the hardest quests in the game - especially the Wizard portion.

You will need lots of preparations to beat it. And even then, if you get the wrong boss, you lose.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 pm

But Bloodmage is fairly easy. Or maybe this is just me.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:06 pm

The Avatar wrote:But Bloodmage is fairly easy. Or maybe this is just me.

Nope, it's not just you.

I remember back when Orc Bloodmage was one of the best melee classes :)
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:20 pm

The days when the tri-sword wasn't potion based. Any of these are easy with a Taurog Tri-Sword combo.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Gwizz41 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:20 pm

The Avatar wrote:As a level 1 sorcerer you should be able to take level 3 that don't kill you. Take a tri-sword if you're playing as a halfling. Use gods that elongate your game.

Great advice right there!....on my first next attempt having sought out the tri-sword I paid more attention to Tikki Tooki & the available reflex/dodge potions on offer. Also, the glyps which I'd mostly just pick up & convert (almost automatically) I'd keep and try find the best situation for their use.

By the end I managed to get to level 9 & win The Iron Man quite comfortably.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/PulpFact/02.jpg
Gwizz41

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Great news! Good job!!!!!

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons