New Goblin

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: New Goblin

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:43 pm

That's more of an issue with Absolution than the Goblin. It's entirely possible to reach level 4 with only killing a handful of monsters if you've got a strong class at your disposal. Still, definitely a nice combo for the goblin and it works with any class and level, even ones where leveling up is tough.

Still not sold on conversion stone with a goblin on a vicious level; seems a steep price to pay once you're level 10 or higher, which is a forgone conclusion on vicious levels.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Well if you can reach 50 extra it's a huge help plus the fact that (presuming you're a GG goblin) you can double-use it through humility.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 am

I've just completed naga city with a TT goblin paladin. It's a nice strategy.

I'm really interested in hearing about this in more detail. It took people ages to wrap their heads around the idea that TT is really, really powerfull at all stages of the game. And it took ME a long time to even think about locking myself in TT with monoteism (for me it was the potion change that did it, as well as all the extra gold that allows for more conversion fodder, and that was before the minimalist profile).

And on topic - I've cleaned out everything in shifting passages with a goblin assasin (with only gg and TT), on the sloppiest most reckless run ever. I barely ayed attention to what I was doing, and I expected to fail myself into a dead end at any point - I pulled through anyway. But then, I was successfully using goblin assasins in vicious dungeons before, they were great wherever you had animated armors, illusions, zombies or any other assortment of fat bastards pilling up in one place.
Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:42 am

Eh, it was probably the "take 50 gold in" change that made TT usable for early game. In the age of only taking 25 gold in, you probably don't have that much gold at the start.
TigerKnee

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:48 am

True that, but most of the boons were good, and I could afford sinking 30 G into piety for the +1 XP boon, and I got all of it back if I took dodge and posion afterwards, so I was using him often even back then...
Lujo

Postby Gorgon on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Lujo wrote:I'm really interested in hearing about this in more detail.

It was a really lucky run. I didn't expect to find TT. I found him at lvl 5 or 6 (I think), and had only killed a few enemies, so I used all low-level enemies to farm piety and level-up. Got Tikki's Edge, poison and dodge (no potions). Found pactmaker, got body pact. No agnostic's colar.

Monotheism helps a lot, since TT is one of the most picky gods. If something needs rebalancing, it's the paladin. Monotheism should be something like: "Double piety gain, double piety loss, cannot convert".
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Perhaps just double gain and loss, but you can still convert (Divine Attunement).
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Gorgon wrote:
Lujo wrote:I'm really interested in hearing about this in more detail.

It was a really lucky run. I didn't expect to find TT. I found him at lvl 5 or 6 (I think), and had only killed a few enemies, so I used all low-level enemies to farm piety and level-up. Got Tikki's Edge, poison and dodge (no potions). Found pactmaker, got body pact. No agnostic's colar.

Monotheism helps a lot, since TT is one of the most picky gods. If something needs rebalancing, it's the paladin. Monotheism should be something like: "Double piety gain, double piety loss, cannot convert".

Ehh, I happen to really like monothiesm. It's a nice twist that keeps the Paladin unique. It's certainly powerful, but not absurdly so.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 pm

I suppose. At least it doesn't allow cheap god conversions.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons