[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby gjaustin on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:53 pm

I suspect that Blue Bead will be rather good with the Mystera Paladin now. You should make a profile and give it a try yourself. It may even be crazier than your Paladin profile.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:57 pm

I am playing a mysteria paladin right now on THIS profile, and It's not only crazier than it was, it's also the only way I can think of to BEAT the damn dungeon and get the pics. And I got through the goos with only the bead, and then realized that Mysteria spawns with the trolls, and that it would've in fact been easier to beat the blobs if I knew that beforehand.

And it would certanly be easier to get through the bandits :D

Anyway, despite massive amounts of untouched stuff that should've been fixed/changed/reconsidered/reositioned a long time ago, and fresh retardedness to try out, I am supremely happy with this update and have good feelings about the devs.

If they don't fix the potion question with the next update, I'll be back in my screaming-bloody-murder harangue mode in no time, and with good cause.

(also, the monk nerf I like, although it might take some more fine tuning. He's still he'lla strong. And the conversion stone nerf was nice.)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 pm

dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 pm

You're posting very long, practically essay length posts on a forum about game balance and concepts, if that's a "casual" then it must be the weirdest definition of one ever.
TigerKnee

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Your ego is astounding. You think change only comes through you. You play up some sort of messiah complex as a savior of the game. Correllation is not causation. You show up with an axe to grind and you grind it down to your knuckles. Suddenly some changes happen that please you. You take credit. As if the developers had NO idea that these might be issues. At best you probably caused them to re-arrange the a list of changes they wanted to make so that some amount of focus could return to these forums. So that we could shift away from your negativity. However, that may not be what is best for the game. Development is often done in a specific order to make other things clearer to see, or make other things easier to develop. Shifting the order could be to a detriment. You could have made things harder for the devs just to stroke your ego on these forums.

If you have as big of an ego as I think, this message won't reach you. You will continue to feel completely justified.
xspeedballx

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Well, my ego is quite large, but you should consider that I was playing the game for months, and I played through the entire alpha, and never pointed out a thing. And never interfeared, posted very rarely and never a lot, patiently waiting for alpha-old issues to get some attention on their own. That's months of being annoyed and aggravated at stuff that was both obvious and possibly quite easy to adress. I didn't "show up" out of nowhere, I was here for a good long while.

EDIT: And if you don't believe me, check this old thread out: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=417&start=10 . That was the old monk. Notice the extent of my interfearance? Notice Darvins reaction? My justification for not posting anything for ages was - if most of the guys here aren't aware of how broken the monk is, then the Devs must be better at the game then them, and the dev's will surely come around to fixing it. And they did nerf him once, but not nearly enough.

I don't think the change comes through me, and if I influenced the reaggangement of their priorities in any way, it was all that mattered. Every time I saw an update, it was obvious what was the current goal, wether adding gods, or monster classes, or whatever, so i kept silent. And by the state of mind of the community, and the changelogs that kept happening, you couldn't really tell if the Devs were aware of some of this stuff at all. Hell, I wasn't aware of the Complicated Tasks I & II shop problem, and it really is big, go ahead an try not unlocking only them, and see for yourself.

I must admit, I do feel like taking some credit for some of this - partly as a way to apologize for being so annoying. And I made this thread as a way to keep spamming my annoyance into one place where it can be easily avoided by anyone who doesn't wan't to hear about it. And I did do a couple of things that were considered impossible or harder than it really was, and prove a hypothesis here and there about what led people to thing it was imossible. So did plenty of other testers and I give them credit for that, and all I've learned and keep learning from them and their efforts. I'm just annoyed that I was forced to even TRY those things to unlock content I was supposed to test -.-

The two essay lenght posts in the game balance philosophy thread are there so anyone can see what led me (and a couple of other guys) to conclude that the recent nerfs are justified and beneficial - they're the history of 2-3 long threads and events, and months of testing the game, boiled down to 2 posts. If someone asks were the nerfs justified, or why they were so vigorously demanded, and the answer takes an essay - let there be an essay. I'll also limit my interfearance into anything for a good while, too.

And for spamming the bugfix thread, I was just trying to give details about crashes, and the circumstances. :(

TLDR: The game was long overdue a reality check, I created, if anything, the circumstances for more people demanding one, stuff happened, and testing and development can go on, and I can return to being my usual unobtrusive self.
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:55 pm

dislekcia

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:25 pm

gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:43 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons