[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Honestly, to me, your argument for resists being broken really simplifies down to "Resists are inherently broken", which I don't find an especially convincing argument. Also, your most recent post is kind of aggressive towards the devs. Not the best way to get them on your side...

The Monk was fine in Alpha - except that one time I got 100% physical resist :) - so the real problem is more complicated than him just having the resists. If anything the problem is the Vicious dungeons requiring dealing with crazy stuff like 10 bosse.
gjaustin

Postby TigerKnee on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:23 pm

The Monk was totally not okay in Alpha. He's one of the few character classes that can indefinitely run Gauntlet mode because of his potential 100% resist rate, which isn't exactly super easy but it is POSSIBLE, which is more than I can say for certain other classes.

We just stopped caring about Alpha balance because they promised us the balance will be fixed in Beta. So... since they promised, might as well complain that resistance is still borked.

Thinking about it, I wish I could just port the new gods/races/conversion (but not item slots) system back to Alpha. I got a feeling I would have preferred that game better.
TigerKnee

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:57 pm

I guess I stopped playing Alpha before the Gauntlet. Though the resist cap is intended to prevent that.

Really, I'd much rather see resists become multiplicative rather than additive. If anything is inherently broken, that is.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Sorry for being agressive, it aggravates me to no end that their time was spent or something that made me have to scumm, with at least 4 things that should be fixed or should've been fixed before that.

Honestly, noone would ever notice non-unlocked gods not appearing in vicious Gaan'Telet except me most likey, and It has just made me waste time scumming, and if the damn program wasn't crashing I'd have at leas one vicious Gaan'Telet win allready posted here IN SPITE OF IT. And my argument really, truly needs no proof further than what I'm doing right now - it shouldn't be possible, or even more powerfull than playing a regular game.

If they're annoyed that there's a tester that seems to understand the gameplay ins and outs of their game better than them (or at leas has damn good rasons to believe so), thats very amateurish - youre beta testers are there to point such things to you.

And I'm not asking them to buff my favourite clas or anything, I'm asking them to nerf obviosly broken stuff that's alowing me to make a mockery out of challenges that aren't supposed to be possible, at least not with as little content unlocked as I've got. I mean, they can completely ignore this, and publish the game as is, but as soon as an expirienced nerd takes hold of it the stuff I'm doing will be all over walkthorughs and wiki's and the game might easily end up as a laughting stock of the net as the game that punishes people for playing it in any normal fashion.

And still be way to hard for casual people.

And it has so much potential.

EDIT: It's the "everything's ok, our game's good" attitude thats making me really pissed of. It's not, it's charming, but the charm quickly fades once you run into GLARING problems.
Last edited by Lujo on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:59 pm

AAAAAArh.... I just descended to the damn horatio with 65% resists, halmeh, soul orb, Lemisi, 120 dmg, Tower shield, and so much regen left I could kill him twice over with an orc TT paladin for the third time... And Unity crashed... And I killed the blobs without taking a hit and they were on the second floor... And I mopped the floor with AA's...

I don't f'ng believe this -.-'

I'm taking a break from this game.

For a while.

I hope stuff is fixed before they make a spiffy interface for retarded features.
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Oh, and before actually taking the break, here's how you beat it with Paladin with only TT spawining.

the setup is Orc Paladin, Dragonshield, Patches, Piety, HP-Att (maybe, I'm not sure), 50 G, Knockback Mace (must have for AA's), basic potion kit, and an Alch scroll that let's you shrink the dragonshield. And a shop scroll to reduce neccessary scumming.

Scum for Soul Orb and LEMISI, and quite possibly APHEELSIK. Make sure not to pick stuff up unless needed, inventory space has always been a problem in Gaan'Telet. Save as much space as possible, and check if the first floor is the desert troll or bandit one as that means you scored TT early and pick him up. You can't lose piety, so hey - youre allready cheating. Yay. Don't fret about wasting some tiles looking for TT in desert troll or bandit levels, most floors are really good at making you waste all of their tiles.

Save as much early monsters as possible, and whatever you do DONT KILL FIRST STRIKERS! You'll need them later.

If you run into animated armors, line them up next to each other either by using wheytwut (possible, I've never done it), or by smacking them around with the knockback mace. If you hit one for enough and he hits another one, the one you've hit loses 2 levels of death protection / dies if he runs out. This saves a lot of resources, but you'll still probably need to dip into another floor to take them all out. You won't need the mace afterwards so convert it when you're done, as smacking stuff into walls messes up your poison.

For Goo Blobs, well, they'll waste all of your Healing potions but saving your resists is vital - they are that powerfull, and hard to come by on only one god. What you do is squeeze 5 potion boons from TT, or just one for starters.

Go down to the blobs, and use burndayraz twice on them. If this doesn't get them into two hit to death teritory, you're doing it wrong (you're shops are clogged, you're not converting enough, whatever). Sometimes it takes 3 fireballs, but then you need to either drink a mana potion or use APHEELSICK between the first fireball and the second 2, or use a lvl up milestone if that's possible. Once the blob is in 2 hit death teritory, drink the dodge potion (AND ONLY the dodge potion, the yellow one). And make sure not to explore any tiles after that.

Then go back up to where you've left all the first strikers and hit them one by one untill you see that your next attack would be a "!DODGE!". When you see that, drink the dark green potion (I call it double strike potion), go back down and hit the blob. Dead blob, you dodged. Cydstep paladin.

Repeat the process 5 times, regening between blobs. Don't be afrad to waste exloration, save it while you kill monsters. Resists are that important. If you're unlucky with getting the "!DODGE!", you migh have to take a hit or 2, but I've managed 5 runs of never getting hit by combining this with AHEELSICK fireballing. Then Unity crashes.

Oh, the Illusion floor has a thingy you can use to kill all of them instantly, and the green wratih floor (that also spawns GG) is quite impossible to do without exploring it entirely first (you can kill one of the guys if you find him lined against enough walls and haven't yet converted the knockback mace), as the enemies have blink and lifesteal. The green troll floor has one really fat troll that drops a conversion stone. If you level up on the bandit floor patches tends to exlore it all for you (It's really really small) and one of the bandits drops a Fine Sword, and the sand troll level is not only small but the damn trolls are cowardly, and bashing them into a wall with the knockback mace removes their poison so you jus have to bash them into a corner. Oh, and the green goblins leave behind bomb that you can use in the corners of the first floor to make exploration space, if you don't have LEMISI. If you do they convert for 25 and there's 5 of them.

Descend to Horatio and enjoy your Unity Crash. If not, then convert everything but soul orb, HALPMEH, LEMISI, any mana potions you have left, and any resist items you have. Don't convert the sword unless it would bring you over a conversion milestone, but do convert if it will - your damage will probably increese. Then just smack the boss for all it's worth remembering to always leave 2 mana open for lemisi, and don't even start using it unless you've explored everything, and are only left with unreachable tiles. And then don't cast HALPMEH unless at 5 mana, as it will make you unable to use LEMISI.

You should be able to deal 10 000 damage (dude has 50% physical, but bringing in RBS would mean either no knockback mace or scumming for both the glyphs, soul orb AND the blacksmith subdungeon which would take way too much effort).

Unlocking a third god wouldn't mean much, and unlocking all gods would make this piss easy with Monk as it wouldn't hurt you in any way. It would screw up my game for any other runs, sure, but in Gaan'Telet it would make it easier with every God unlocked. Also, a bloodmage with all gods unlocked (for the resists) could probably walk all over this dungeon, as he'd have little trouble with either the blobs or the AA's, and I also think the wizard and the thief could do it with all or most gods unlocked and a bit of luck.

It's just that guys with built in resists can do it easily (if it looks complicated, all of the complications come from 2 floors, everything else is a no-brainer). Paladin can do it with one god unlocked, Monk would need something to switch from TT, although I've been down to horatio with Monk, as I've had resists over the cap to blow on hits from the Blobs.

There.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Wow harsh words towards the devs. I think a lot of stuff needs rebalancing, but slamming the devs is not how to strive for that. While several items suck and mystera is a load of junk who's boons should be free.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:12 am

dislekcia

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 am

As far as personal observations go, one thing that seems to aggravate crashing is playing really fast and causing a lot of "special effects" to spawn, such as slamming a monster multiple times in really quick succession and causing a lot of sparkles to fly out of it. Since you're playing a Monk, there's a pretty high chance of that happening.

I remember crashing on the Avatar this way as well. Spawning the billion plants that it does and eventually crashing my game pissed me off back when we only had terrible items and preparations to kill him with.
TigerKnee

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons