[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby Gorgon on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Gorgon

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:43 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 pm

I haven't gotten to the vicious levels in my new profile yet (moving slowly, I know), but I've found goblins are working just fine in the hard difficulty levels even without a sensation stone.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Especially with absolution. Then it's destruction.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:08 pm

gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:43 am

Now that's what I call bad luck...

Gjaustin's suggestion is kind of confusing, so I'll propose something simpler. Maybe it's the same concept, maybe it's not.
Solemn Oath: Limited item space (-1-2 slots), and double piety gain.

Okay maybe double is overkill. One free conversion?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:07 am

gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 am

Concerning which Monks ability has to "go", I've explained the reasons resists are a problem. It allows me to jump through so many less hoops than with other classes that a monk can clear slime pits purist. He'd still be silly good with 2X regen, but at least you'd make him work to hit his cap.

There are pics of monk, rogue and fighter comleting Naga City. I hope the difference in effort requred is obvious, and the effort involved is mostly about getting their respective resists high enough. If the Fighter started with 50% resists, he'd need only dragonshield to hit his cap and could easily complete most vicious dungeons.

As things stand, the Monk can with little effort accumulate enough resist over the cap to walk out of a floor of resist reducing slimes with plenty of resists to keep going for a long time, quite possibly beat the dungeon. And that's on only 2 gods spawning, If I unlocked Drac and Taurog I'd beat it blindfolded.
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 am

55% physical resist, not a single hit taken from blobs. I'd be able to kill him too, if I choose to unlock drac for more resists and bloodswells. Also doable with Monk, only it takes actuall scumming, and if I wanted to do that I wouldn't be playing this way in the first place.

HALPMEH/Resist retardedness is making a mockery of your game, please, honor at least the enormuos amount of time I've put into making this obvious and spend your energy bringing this crap in line. There's plenty of other ways to comlete this dungeon, but Paladin and Monk can actually do it severely gimped.

Oh, and way to go Devs, you made me have to scum on a profile I made to test content without scumming. That was... pointless...

Oh, and this was a TT paladin, just so anyone interested knows. TT sells a better cydstep, best god in the game ^^

EDIT: scratch that, If I had 5 instead of 4 HP potions (in other words if a shop spawend H instead of mana like it did) i would've had loads more resources, same thing if I used 3 bombs that I've converted on busting walls. I didnt see Tower Shield, that would've added a whole bunch of damage. This was a lousy run come to think of it, it's quite probably doable without unlocking anything, at least with Paladin. I've taken of over 2000 HP off him with just half of the Illusion floor left to explore and one mana potion. If I had the good sense to not convert LEMISI I probably woulda won THIS run.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons