[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:42 pm

My favorite thing is when you find the gloves, save them and then find 2-4 of those other ones. No boss stands long after that. None of them.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:29 pm

gjaustin

Postby gjaustin on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:23 am

People may already know this, but I didn't...

You can unlock the Witch and upgrade her building to level 1 without causing potions to spawn in shops. This lets you prep one of the poison/mana burn potions.
gjaustin

Postby q 3 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 am

q 3

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:41 am

Yeah. It's kinda hard to regen fight a guy who does 150 damage and corrosion/weakness.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 am

Adding in on the whole "randomness" debate going on.

I used to play Magic:The Gathering. One of the basic rules in deck construction for high-level play is "4 of each card you want to use (4 is the maximum of an individual card, you see), unless you have an extremely good reason not to (such as deck searching cards)"

In a game with random factors, good players will attempt to keep Luck to the minimum. One way of doing so is to get rid of junk. That means sub-optimal and super niche items like blue beads get junked.

In Alpha, you HAVE to get through the junk items in order to reach the high end awesome ones like Orb of Zot due to the simple unlocking system.

In Beta, you can control your "deck", or in this case, your item pool, by simply not doing quests that junk up the shops.

Even if, in theory, you managed to make all items equally useful, the optimal play would still be to minimize your luck as much as possible.

Now, having a huge pool of items and seeing what you get as a luck of the draw CAN be FUN. That's the basis behind the alternative mode "Elder Dragon Highlander", where you have a 100 card deck with a card maximum of 1 per individual card, but that's not the base gameplay of Magic, and I would like to think that the "fun" and the "optimal" way of playing a game should intersect, rather than clash with each other.

This is Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup's reasoning for removing grindy behaviour. It's true that players can choose not to do X scummy and boring action, but if it gives you an advantage, players will happily whip themselves if they must.
TigerKnee

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:33 am

Thinking about it a bit, the anti-locker mechanic might be a fun ability to attach to Level 4 guilds as an advanced unlock for veteran players. The Thieves' Guild could have a special Boycott menu used to suppress unwanted goods, the Church could have an Iconoclast menu where you can pay the archpriests money to declare certain religions as heretical, and the Mages' Guild could declare a moratorium on certain kinds of magic. As long as I'm wishing on a rainbow, the Adventurers' Guild could have some more locker space :)

As much as I would like to see something like this, I get the feeling that QCF considers the game to be feature complete now and isn't eager to start cramming in more stuff. Maybe this could be modded in, but after reading the recent comments about how the back end of the game works, that sounds unlikely.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:04 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons