[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:24 am

Oh, and I think I just discovered a balanced cydstep rogue. Without cydstep ofc, that was a silly glyph. And it only works for a boss fight, but thats where cydstep glyph was a ridiculous concept for me.

It's limited, but so's cydstep rogue without Jehora shannanigans. I don't claim to understand how exacly does the double strike potion works, but it ussually allows me to get a free hit in. So with the shops rigged (erm, only sane way to play the game IMO), you often have access to the erservarance badge, which is well worth the 18 gold, and a great item.

You drink the dodge potion, hit stuff you'd hit anyway and get your dodge prediction (and if you're a rogue worshiping TT you start with 30-40%). Then you drink the other one and smack the boss for two hits (2 Rogue hits are often in whoopaz hit teritory). Then you repeat this process as many times as you can. In Naga city, with a transmutation scroll, that can be a LOT of times. You get the effects of 2 cydsteps for each set of potions, and if you have a badge, thats one more. If the potions were unlockable in a way that doesn't destroy my shops, I think I'd be prepping my "2 cydstep" combo every time.

Come to think of it, a halfling tinker with a trisword (which I can't unlock without letting cydstep into my pool, and getting random goo spawns, yuck), and a transmutation scroll prepped could make this truly hilarious in Naga city boss area.

EDIT: Also, I've disovered a way to get rid of TT poison. It's costly but not as costly as enidng u worshiping GG with poison. If you desecrate the TT altar he atakes away your dodge and poison. He also gives every monster in the game frst strike and weakening strike, true, but sometimes that's a lot better than ending up with no items. Esecially if there are no more monsters in the game, you're fighting a boss, and you really need a cleansing or a protection or whatever from GG. Or if the boss you'll be fighting has yet to spawn, like in naga city.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:33 am

And Now I've unlocked the gorgon with a fighter, and the damn game wont register my win -.-'

I took a screenie though...

Anyway - YAY I've finally unlocked the Gorgon! All of this practicaly started because I've run out of money trying to do a fighter run of Naga City, and I did it on the first try with no conversion stone or halpmeh, just agnostics collar and a whole bunch of convertible junk. I made good use of wheytwut as well, and now that you can take bleaty out with TT potions (and general nerfs to boss HP in Naga City), I'd say it's on par in difficulty with Dragon Isles (and piss easy with agnostic collar and good god juggling skills). Provided the right setup ;)

Ok, 4 more things to do:

1) Unlock Vampire
2) Do a Monk vicious Gaan'Telet win if possible, if not, try to do any vicious Gaan'Telet win.
3) Do a warmonger wizard run of Berserker Camp, and a parched Priest run of Magma Mines.
4) Do all the complete level X times quests X-1 times with anything but the Monk (which is auto win anywhere anyway, and this way I don't unlock useless junk).

And them maybe unlock some more stuff, like a third god or Bazaar lvl 3. I sure hope I don't have to unlock either for all this.
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Oh, and I got through AA and the resist reducing slime floor in the new Gaan'Telet with 54% resists and was just about to go Drac for more resists when my damn Unity crashed... Aaaaaargh...
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:22 pm

gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:45 pm

The rogue Naga City run, and the fighter:

Notice the difference :D
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Great, the dev take, the dev's give away.

I'm thrilled because they nerfed bleaty into an easy boss, the way he should be.

On the other hand, thier silent update of Gaan'Telet that prevents gods that weren't unlocked from spawning is... amusing.

I'll still do it with a monk and quite possibly with a paladin, but I'm starting to wonder what exactly does it take to make them realize that there is nothing you can throw at someone who starts at 50% resists... I've allready passed the AA and the goo floor twice (once without losing any resists), but once the game crashed and once my computer crashed.

Devs, just nerf the damned monk. Make him start at 25% resists for starters, and do something about the potions like we're discussing in the "fortitude and burn salve" thread.
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:02 pm

gjaustin

Postby xspeedballx on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 pm

I was just in there and he had 222 health and 315 damage and 50% magic resist inside of naga city.
Aequitas had 444 health
and Tower of Goo 666
xspeedballx

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:26 pm

That's Grimm's Grotto damage levels, but significantly reduced health.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:05 pm

they did just that, they kept the Grimms grotto dmg, but lowered the health. My tower of goo HP is 444. This is quite reasonable, as it kees Bleaty threatning, but makes him a puzzle boss with more options for beating.

And concerning the Monk, I'm not even prepping Conversion Stone anymore, and I agree that it shold've never been lockerable. And the only thing that's stopping me from beating Gaan'Telet is hardware and software troubles. The rogue, and fighter Naga City runs were done with Dragonshield preps (obviously), and so were the two almost sucessful Gaan'Telet runs.

Hell, back when bleaty spawned as lvl 8 in the main floor, I was doing fine against him with a monk, I just didn't want to waste money scumming for the right combo of glyphs, and that time I prepped avatar's symbol, not conversion stone.

Nerf the monk. My moba comparison is spot on. Don't make me grind to prove it, please. I'll do it anyway, with only two gods spawning in the entire dungeon, and no advanced potions and elite items, riding on the glorious retardedness that is 50% starting resists.

And while you're at it, consider that I can probably beat Gaan'Telet with a Monk without conversion stone, but I can't beat the vicious Halls of Steel with anythign BUT the monk. That place needs nerfs, and serios ones. (I can probably do it with Paladin, but that's just monk light, and would probably be easiet to complete Gaan'Telet with, with only two gods)
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons