Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Your point is good. Just exploring thoughts, I really don't have a counter point :)

Another fun thought because I love them, in the world of stupidly complex mechanics, if a class gained opposing resistance temporarily whenever they took damage. And lost damage type resistance whenever they TOOK damage.

Note numbers are not tuned AT ALL but example - Gain physical resistance equal to magic damage taken and vice versa. Whenever you take a hit you lose 15% resistance of the type of damage you took. So if at 50% physical, you get smacked by a zombie you are at 35% resistance(but just gained a bunch of magic resistance).

Mechanic with whatever balancing would not always be ideal based on monster balance but could lead to lots of fun mechanics.
xspeedballx

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:17 pm

The Avatar wrote:A mana reduction is a bad idea. Then you're really forcing Taurog on them. And it isn't HALPMEH that broke their magic resistance. I went Warmonger on Gaan-Telet and Naga City.

You went warmonger on Gaan'Telet? Which one?

xspeedballx wrote:Note numbers are not tuned AT ALL but example - Gain physical resistance equal to magic damage taken and vice versa. Whenever you take a hit you lose 15% resistance of the type of damage you took. So if at 50% physical, you get smacked by a zombie you are at 35% resistance(but just gained a bunch of magic resistance).

Temporary resistances was something I also thought about while trying to find a way to explain what exactly old cydstep allowed.

What you'd be suggesting is actual percentage based vulnerabilities, which is scary (percentage based stuff ussually is, and also makes math complicated). Temporary one-hit buffs though, "if you can tank one, you can tank the next one easier" might be a fun concept :)
Last edited by Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 pm

The old one. Sorry for no clarification on that.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Lujo wrote:Speaking of which, I'm testing that out right now on my new profile. Dwarven rogues are quite good even without resists, and even after the nerfs. Gj on shutting cydstep down for a while - more people might take a hint. Resists in moderation, coupled with good health gains work wonders, I'll ost some composed feedback on it if the trend looks good.

Dwarven Rogues have been my preferred class for beating Normal/Hard dungeons for quite a while, since they kill things so quickly.

There's a reason that I listed them separately from CYDSTEPP Rogues in that tier list thread - and right up there with Thieves :)
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:22 pm

The Avatar wrote:The old one. Sorry for no clarification on that.

You remeber how it went maybe? :) Gaan'Telet antics are a bit of a passion of mine :oops:

gjaustin wrote:Dwarven Rogues have been my preferred class for beating Normal/Hard dungeons for quite a while, since they kill things so quickly.

There's a reason that I listed them separately from CYDSTEPP Rogues in that tier list thread - and right up there with Thieves :)

Yeah, that's where I've picked it up originaly, did you do the HALPMEH rogue run of the old Gaan'Telet?
I sort of did the Orc/Dragonshield bit in Naga City based on those two posts.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I actually perfer goblins with Absolution and GG. Pump to level 4 or so absolve, get Enlightenment and if you brought a Drafon Shield you're set.

And for my monk win I took Taurog and bought a Venom Ward. Converted into Drac for another 15 to hit 75 and converted to Taurog again. I was parched too! I'd like to mention that you don't need the poison boon.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Lujo wrote:
The Avatar wrote:The old one. Sorry for no clarification on that.

You remeber how it went maybe? :) Gaan'Telet antics are a bit of a passion of mine :oops:

gjaustin wrote:Dwarven Rogues have been my preferred class for beating Normal/Hard dungeons for quite a while, since they kill things so quickly.

Yeah, that's where I've picked it up originaly, did you do the HALPMEH rogue run of the old Gaan'Telet?
I sort of did the Orc/Dragonshield bit in Naga City based on those two posts.

Nope, that wasn't me. I only ever beat the old Gaan'Telet with a Monk since I was busy trying to beat Naga City with classes that didn't use CYDSTEPP.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Which is impossible now due to Tomithy. Please devs switch him with medusa or Firstborn.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:40 pm

The Avatar wrote:Which is impossible now due to Tomithy. Please devs switch him with medusa or Firstborn.

I think you mean swap Bleaty with Medusa or Firstborn :)

It's only REALLY a problem due to having to deal with both of them.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Heh, the new Bleaty eats Dodge and Reflex potions. I can't remember the last time I didn't one-shot him for no damage :) If he's giving you trouble, thats your answer, you don't even need any mana.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons