[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The new "metagame" - Perfect Profiles for Classes

The new "metagame" - Perfect Profiles for Classes

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The new "metagame" - Perfect Profiles for Classes

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:36 pm

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Sorcerer, Half-Dragon, and Gorgon are potential options as well, due to their ability to take out two levels of death protection at a time. However, that won't help much against Blah-blah, so it's hard to say.
gjaustin

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:56 am

Blah Blah is a pushover. He's basically free experience.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby q 3 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:29 am

I know you have this weird love/hate relationship with Monks and/or Orcs, Lujo, but you really ought to expand your horizons. ;)

That was a bit too snarky even for me, so I'll add a constructive suggestion. Halls of Steel has always been a dungeon that requires a very different approach from all the others: beating Indomitable requires having a lot of resources and a very efficient means of using them; yet unlike the Tower, you don't have a lot of extra tiles, and unlike the old Tower/Naga City, you don't have a bunch of extra altars. On the other hand, taking down death protection doesn't require you to maximize your damage output, it requires you to maximize your number of hits. Orcs are great at DPS, but when it's quantity that matters over quality, Gnomes have a decisive advantage over everyone else (except maybe a Halfling Thief), and at least at the moment JJ is the go-to deity for maximizing your return on mana potions. Take down Indomitable with enough resources left over and Blahblah is a pushover.

Also you nearly always want to kill Indomitable first - not only can you tank him a lot earlier than you could ever tank Blahblah, Indomitable is great to regen fight while Blahblah is both harder to tank and liable to blink into unexplored territory.
q 3

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 am

Which, me being wrong about what I've said (:P at me, I appologize for both being wrong and needlesly sarcastic), or beating the vicious halls with 3 classes (which is absurd, IMO).

Oh, and I've learned from you q3, I've beaten a lot of stuf with a pissedorf wizard on this profile (a conversion centric Orc pissedoff wizard is very, very strong), and i've tried it again here but with no luck. It's quite powerfull, and you temped me into doing my second ever sucesfull Gaan'Telet run with Wizard back before they changed it :) . I AM using other stuff all the time, you know, I was the first guy to do it with a fighter ;)

It might be doable with an elven pisorff wizard and my conversion shannanigans, but it would take scumming for pissorff and I've run out of money because of Gaan'Telet soul orb scumming and Unity crashes. And I'd still need to unlock stuff for the resists to take care of Blahblah.

Oh, and I haven't tried with Paladin, as I'm 100% sure tht I could do it with a knock back mace on him - IF I unlock Drac for the extra resists. And I don't want to unlock drac because that would tempt me to powergame in ways that would make me feel bad. And also, i feel like having to resort to that would sort of tarnish the entire effrt of trying NOT to cheeze out as much as I could.

Anyone who can get enough resists, a knockback mace and HALPMEH can probably do it, and a gnome JJ bloodmage can probably do it anyway. But it's still unreasonably difficult IMO.
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:53 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons