[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Unofficial Balance Suggestions Thread

Unofficial Balance Suggestions Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Unofficial Balance Suggestions Thread

Postby q 3 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:42 pm

I do like the way Mana Leak works now, and so while I think it needs to be toned down I'd prefer that happen in a way that doesn't involve arbitrary limits on which spells it effects (especially when that just gimps the Wizard unnecessarily).

How about: Mana Leak reduces spell costs by -1, but permanently disables MP regeneration (or at least -1 to MP regen, so BLUDTOPOWA will put you at 0 HP/1 MP per tile). It's still powerful, but no longer hilariously broken for regen fighting - and since you'll generally want to save it for late in the game, it encourages staying with Mystera, which makes for an interesting strategic decision since Mystera's piety farmy-ness pulls you just as strongly in the direction of converting out. (I'd also delete the monster magic resistance increase, since that would be nearly impossible to deal with late in the game and Mystera really ought to be the designated BURNDAYRAZ deity.)

That also mitigates the free LEMMISI issue for Wizards, since they'll at least have to deal with the loss of MP regen even if HP regen (or +1 MP regen with BLUDTOPOWA) is still free. Change BICEPS to 3 MP / 45% bonus damage / 3% phys resist reduction, and that issue is solved as well (and I think that's a more balanced glyph anyhow).
q 3

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:46 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Not that it works ideally right now because of a few factors, but I think that is where non-traditional play may come in. The ideal would be to poke tower of goo periodically while leveling and exploring long before you are ready to attack him for real and reduce his resistance that way. Only problem is that around the time you can start surviving a hit from him you probably want to start engaging him. I think there might be something to be said for tower of goo to have more hp and less damage to allow for some more poke and go on him. Balanced of course.
xspeedballx

Postby q 3 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Physical combat with Tower of Goo should never be easy. ;) And remember that it's stacking, so you can start hitting him with resist-reducing attacks as soon as you're able to take a hit; 10 hits and he's already down from 75% to 45%, even with only 3% reduction per hit.
q 3

Postby Gorgon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:01 pm

30% Physical is HARSH! I think 20% if you want to go that route.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Lujo

Postby Halion on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:38 pm

A fairly subtle way to reduce the power of HALPME would be to increase it's mana cost, but increase the healing in line with it, so the mana to hp ratio remained the same (eg: 4mana for 4hp per level, instead of 3 for 3). This weakens it slightly, since a smaller cost is more efficient, both in how easily you can convert your mana to healing (mostly, there are the odd points of difference) and because it makes overhealing happen a bit more.

This dramatically reduces the impact of mana saving effects (Mana Leak, Wizard, Crystal Ball), however, since they will be proportionally reduced in impact. They still function beneficially, though, so the combo isn't broken, it is just reduced in strength.

This change is also quite elegant. The spell's flavour and simple mechanics are retained without change.
Halion

Postby dislekcia on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:15 am

dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 am

Hah, I'll soon run out of cheezy exploits, I sure hope you're ready with the dungeon nerfs :D
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons