Keyboard controls in paid version

All things Desktop Dungeons

Keyboard controls in paid version

Postby Kinglink on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Hey guys, Love the game, Played a single complete game and bought it immediately.

However I noticed that in the freeware version of the game it seemed I could use WASD as well as the arrow keys but in the paid version of the game I can't. I do like to use both mouse and keyboard (mouse big moves, keyboard small explorations.) Can you please give us keyboard controls in the paid versions?
Kinglink

Re: Keyboard controls in paid version

Postby q 3 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:18 am

I get slightly annoyed every time a start a new profile and want to breeze through the tutorials with keyboard controls, only to be reminded that it's necessary to click about a million times as you wander through empty hallways.
q 3

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:52 am

Keyboard movement needs to be a lot different to how it worked in the alpha if we're going to include it, that's something we're still trying to figure out. Plus WASD won't work anymore, lots of those keys are used for glyph shortcuts now. It will be something we do at some point though...
dislekcia

Postby q 3 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:02 am

I'd personally rather have keyboard movement than glyph hotkeys - maybe a menu option to toggle between them?
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:28 am

You can just remove the numbers off glyphs and use the num pad to move.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Squishy Tia on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 am

Is there any chance of enabling at least the arrow keys for movement? Aside from the numpad not being my personal preference for "touch without looking" movement, most laptops do not have a numpad, and using the trackpad is....well, it sucks. I can deal with just about any change to the game that's made for story or gameplay purposes, but the lack of basic keyboard movement control makes things a bit of a pain. What joy it'd be to have step by step movement for small areas or when I'm trying to conserve unexplored map squares without the hassle of the mouse. Or the ability to hit a hotkey and a direction to "use" my glyphs (such as BURNYARAZ, which is used in rapid succession a lot of the time).

You'd be amazed at how the little things can end up being pretty big quality of life improvements to a game. :)
Squishy Tia

Postby booooooze on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:54 am

Amen to this all of this. I know you've got a lot of work, devs, but I'd buy the game a second time if I could have keyboard movement. Preferably numberpad (home, up, pgup, etc), but I'd take anything. Touchpad is miserable. I
booooooze

Postby Jazerus on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:29 am

I very much agree. I really like the alpha and just joined the free beta week, but I'm afraid I'm probably not going to purchase the game if it doesn't have a numpad movement option; mouse movement just feels extremely unnatural for a quasi-roguelike. You could maybe set up an option to switch between a control layout designed for primary mouse users (like now) and an alternate control set for people intending to mostly play with the keyboard? I'd be fine with having glyph hotkeys, etc. in weird places if I could have numpad movement.
Jazerus

Postby mgnetdevil on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:26 am

As a laptop user and IT student i really love it, if a game is playable completely via keyboard :D But the basic controlls like in the alpha would be a great start ^^
mgnetdevil

Postby jenkido on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 pm

+1

Please add an option for keyboard movement. I'm getting carpal tunnel playing the beta*! In the alpha the keyboard was awesome for exploring. Just remove the "auto-attack" with keyboard movement so we don't die when we bump into a level8 :)

(*In all seriousness, I played for 3 hours last night and my mouse hand was cramping up, which doesn't happen to me even after 10 hours of coding)
jenkido

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons