[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Here be goats!

Here be goats!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Here be goats!

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:35 am

But elf lets you use the crystal ball for lots of extra times. Anyway, isn't it 2 mana?

Any help with the transmuter?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:55 am

gjaustin

Postby q 3 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:51 am

Human is always better for regen fighting. (Except in circumstances where Orc is better, natch.) And anyway, I think you'd do better with a Sorcerer than a Paladin. Monotheism hurts more than it helps: Mystera is still the second best piety farm, and now she doesn't have any re-usable boons (other than Weakening which is still pretty terrible), meaning you'll usually want to convert out; she also hardly has any piety loss (just killing magic users, which are popcorn in most dungeons), which means you get very little benefit from punishment immunity. Whereas all three Sorcerer abilities have great synergy with Mana Leak + HALPMEH. Rogue would also make this a pretty nasty combo, if you get his HP/resists high enough to take a hit. Interestingly, I don't think Monk is optimal here - with 1 MP HALPMEH you really, really want to use BLUDTOPOWA, and that disables the Monk's biggest advantage. And as I already noted, Wizards can pull this off without even bothering with the Crystal Ball; great for Purist runs, or take the Dragon Shield if you think easy mode is still too easy.

New class/badge victory gold appears to be awarded if you kill the boss and then die. (And once again I beg for a "Are you sure you want to do that?" before committing suicide. Misclicks are not a pleasant gaming experience.)

Mystera's Refreshment glyph turns off if you convert to another deity - and if you convert back to her, you can't reactivate it. (Also, it would be nice if more of those permanent or semipermanent effect boons had status icons on your character, so you could quickly tell whether it was active or not.)

I'm seeing the bloodstain subdungeon a lot, but haven't found any of the others. Could just be the RNG messing with me, I suppose. It's a fairly useless subdungeon if you're not a Bloodmage or Vampire; you can't even take advantage of Plantation with it. Blood pools aren't really anything other than scenery in 95% of runs.
q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:29 am

TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:35 pm

I guess that brings out the "rogue-like" similarities in desktop dungeons. It's harsh.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:53 pm

TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:05 pm

I agree with you; I was just voicing what the devs probably think (Unless they're making it right now....)

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:07 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Stepwise Regression on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 pm

I like most of the recent changes so far, however, a new problem seems to have appeared with the latest update. As others have pointed out, text looks low-res and messy for certain users.

I've tried Opera, Chrome and Firefox, and unless I use 100% zoom in the browser, which results in a tiny window at higher resolutions, most in-game text gets hard to read. Text is somewhat easier to read in fullscreen mode, but still looks worse than before.
Both screenshots below were taken at the same level of zoom and at the same resolution. I couldn't find an old screenshot on my HDD with more text, but this illustrates the issue as well (left - old version; right - new version).

If you're not experiencing any problems with fonts and browser zooming, I'd like to ask which browser you are using.
Stepwise Regression

Postby xspeedballx on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Hmm Misclicks. Yep, they are annoying. Mostly because they make you feel dumb, for not being more careful in a game that begs 100% of the time that you are careful in picking out your targets, your gear, your gods etc.

How often do we misclick because we are bad at using our mouse? For me? Never. I misclick because I am rushing. I am trying to explore some area, or get somewhere. Or by level 6 of fighting gorgons forget that just because I can survive 2 hits, doesn't mean I can survive 2 hits.

They are painful. They can be demoralizing. They also remind you that the game isn't your friend. It might seem like your friend since EVERYTHING is a resource. You have resources coming from all angles you think the game wants you to win. But the reality is the game wants you to test your mind and lull you into security until you slip up.

Now, as a counter to that, I do think there should be click protection for newbies. Some sort of gateway experience in the game that explicitly states that "after this moment the game will be harder, and it will no longer hold your hand from mistakes." After that well, hard and vicious dungeons aren't just saying that because of the extra stats. Most of them's vary existence forces you to think and stay focused. Gaan'talet is the "ultimate" challenge because it asks you to do that for a fairly extended period of time.

The other option is to allow for a setting for double-clicking to attack monsters. It would introduce a bit of caution, and slow things down a tiny amount. It has advantages and draw-backs for turning the option on. But honestly the game asking us "Are you sure?" if we attack something that will kill us on a hard or vicious dungeon will just make us think a bit less, and *I* think that would be a sad thing.
xspeedballx

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons