[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Here be goats!

Here be goats!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Here be goats!

Postby Halion on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:50 am

Halion

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:58 am

Hmmm... I was under the impression that BYSSEPS only worked for one attack. Yeah, permanently lowering both resistances is a bit much, especially on bosses that rely on their resists for their difficulty. At the same time, if you're on a level without a boss with resistances the glyph still doesn't do very much for you.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 am

Wow, if you saved that and had extra tiles as a PISORFing wizard, The Avatar would be a literal pushover! :D
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:15 am

Just beat Demonic Library as a Mystera Paladin with Crystal Ball (first try). It's tough, but obviously doable.

--EDIT--
Thought I'd add in my preparations:

Orc, Crystal Ball, Patches, Scout Altar, Summon Glyph (doesn't matter which since it's to convert)
Compression Seal, 50 Gold, +10% Badge, Extra Shop, Mana Burn Potion

The first preps I took were Mana Leak then two levels of Weakening so that I could more efficently Fireball the Resist Down genie.

Then right before I went down to fight The Avatar, I took as many Mana boons as I could. I ended up having to use two mana potions to take him out.

Items I found were Fine Sword, Troll Heart, Pendant of Mana, two Potions, a Tower Shield, and a Viper Ward

--END EDIT--

I'm actually having trouble with Naga City though. Has anyone beaten it yet in this version? Even as a Mystera Paladin, I don't have enough mana to be able to take down Bleaty, Timothy, and Tower of Goo with Fireballs.

If you get Timothy before Bleaty, you basically lose.
gjaustin

Postby gjaustin on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:40 am

And just beat Namtar. Since I wanted magic resist to deal with Namtar, I didn't take Weakening so that I wouldn't lose any that I got from Patches. I grabbed the Mana boon right before entering the Underworld (though I probably ought to have grabbed it right before finishing off Namtar's first form).

Failed my first two tries as an Orc (his damage is high enough to one shot you), but I got it the first time I swapped to a Dwarf.

One thing that's really nice about Crystal Ball that isn't immediately obvious - it can restore your mana even if you're mana burned. And since you're already mana burned, taking another hit from a Mana Burn monster won't actually clear out your mana!

Right now I'm scared to see this combo in the hands of a Bloodmage or Thief. They'll both take scumming to get HALPMEH and Mystera, but either of them could do a lot of damage.

Oh, and on Thieves. This may be in patch notes (and therefore I missed it), but now they only get 20% mana from health potions and 20% health from mana potions.
gjaustin

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:38 am

TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:45 am

I almost did Naga City as a JJ Gnome Warlord today. If I'd had Avatar's Symbol and WHUPAZ then I would have won it, but I didn't have enough resources to get through both SMM and Frank. Off to the Demonic Libraries!
Darvin

Postby Stepwise Regression on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Stepwise Regression

Postby Abraxas on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:48 pm

You know who really likes the new Mystera? The good old fireball transmuter.
With mana leak you can get one fireball per wall destroyed with endiswall. Add to that the flames boon and you'll be dealing a lot of damage if you have enough walls. Halpmeh also works wonders (even more so with crystal ball).
Having gotten MA and halpmeh on the same run, I would have been able to clear the demonic library without breaking a sweat, had the game not crashed when fighting the avatar.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby thegabbert on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:13 pm

thegabbert

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons