[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Will the final version crash every 10 minutes?

Will the final version crash every 10 minutes?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Will the final version crash every 10 minutes?

Postby dislekcia on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Yes. The final version will crash every 10 minutes, on the dot...

We know the game's crashing in browser. We've logged the issue and we'll try to fix it as soon as we get enough time to wade through the billion browser/hardware/OS profiles that are out there and specifically identify the problem.

As a rule of thumb, in-game crashes we can do something about, Unity plugin crashes not so much. The reason being that browsers are alternately stingy or super-free with the memory they grant their plugins, add to that how the Unity plugin changes over time AND how we can't duplicate the same problem and hopefully that puts in into perspective.

If you really want to help then, please play the most memory-hungry Unity plugin games you can find, see if that also crashes your plugin. Read up about managing plugin memory allowances, post links to optimising browser setups, that sort of thing. If we have more actual information, then we'd be able to do something, even if that something is as simple as "Hey, the Unity browser plugin is unstable and we're pushing the limits on what it can handle stably at the moment, we need to wait for Unity to upgrade the plugin."

P.S. Everyone else: If you're getting Unity Plugin crashes, please include your browser version, the plugin version and your OS when you post about it. The info will help us eventually figure out this annoying problem. I'm sorry you have to put up with Lujo's spam and my annoyance at it - I'll be sunnier and happier in future :)
dislekcia

Postby q 3 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:42 pm

I think I've had a Unity crash like, maybe once or twice during the entire beta? It might be worth doing one quick stand-alone release in the near future to see if the folks having browser crashes still crash sans browser.

For the record:

Firefox 9.0.1 (I think I was still on ~3.5 when the beta started, WTF Firefox quit updating so frequently)

Unity 3.1.0f4

OS X 10.5.8
q 3

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:05 pm

I'v just had a "regular" memory leak - "Shit's crashed, text wall" with "back to kingdom" for the first time in ages. It happened upon entering Gaan'Telet.

The one's I've been heving lately are Unity crashes, I've posted the picture in th bug forums. I think they are somehow related to using TT, as Darvin (or someone) had simmilar issues before. Using mysteria doesn't seem to crash my Gaan'Telet runs.

Anyway:

Windows XP, service pack 3

Chrome 16.0.912.75, and Safari (latest)

Unity - latest, I've reinstalled twice.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby FDru on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Win XP Pro SP3

Firefox 9.0.1

Unity 3.4.2f3
FDru

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:28 am

I have had 3 unity crashes, the first 2 were identical. I was in shifting sands, elf paladin, first boss dead, shapeshifter JUST went under 50% and I cast halpmeh and unity crash. After I updated chrome and unity plugin(plugin was way out of date) and tried again. This time I got both bosses dead, and as I was mopping up the rest of the dungeon I pressed crystal ball and.. crash.

Windows 7
Chrome 16.0.912.75 m
Unity 3.4.2f3

I will try a similar setup in my other profile and try other strats to see if I get different results. I had never seen a unity crash until today and those listed above.
xspeedballx

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:34 am

I've practically never seen one.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:04 pm

I've never crashed because of unity. I've only crashed due to bugged items like the guitar and shopstealing scroll. But that was easily avoidable till they got fixed.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:09 pm

I had seen code crashes periodically. However only recently the unity crashes. This isn't necessarily a fault of the game, and there could be something in common wrong with the computers that are getting them. But like has been said identifying that problem from any front is hard. Is unity entirely software based? Or does it utilize video card calls? Was gonna see if it was worth messing with drivers.
xspeedballx

Postby gjaustin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:09 pm

gjaustin

Postby harfatum on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:55 pm

My wife (Labbity) gets crashes all the time on her ThinkPad. Both Unity and in-game... probably more Unity.

I think she's had like three crashes during / soon after discovering GG.

Will the final version save progress within dungeons, so that crashes aren't so frustrating?
Last edited by harfatum on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons