[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Ick Swamp "Way of the open fist"

Ick Swamp "Way of the open fist"

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Ick Swamp "Way of the open fist"

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:57 am

Yeah they probably forgot to change it over to Hexx ruins.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:04 am

Those Revenants would still be pretty nasty to a Monk... but scumming for HALPMEH isn't that big of a deal and it'd still be a far cry from the new Ick Swamp.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:08 am

Yup, thus my point. But yeah, to beat it you basically need HALPMEH.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:27 am

Mind you, the level is much easier since they added a second boss and toned down Stheno. Because you can't leave any popcorn around for Stheno, you're free to use all those resources on the first boss. Because Stheno is weaker now, cleaning him up afterwards is fairly easy. I think a Monk of who uses a Mana Leak/HALPMEH combo would have no troubles beating this purist. Only catch is taking out the Nagas without incurring weakening, but a conversion to Jehora Jeheyu could solve that ;-)

I am loving my strategic unlock of only JJ and Mystera right now. I wish Pactmaker would appear again so I could complete my chosen three-god trio.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:32 am

That sounds awesome. I wish I hadn't screwed my profile with junk. I still have a bunch of item quests, but first I wanna beat Vicious up.

The Avatar

Postby booooooze on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:30 am

Ick Swamp (purist monk) as it is, is miserable. Possible, but miserable. I'm going to say worse than VHoS, at the moment. At least there you have a few classes that can handle it. You effectively only have gorgons to level up with, at least to start, and if you get unlucky with their levels, or placement of plants, or gods, you're screwed.
booooooze

Postby Killdozer on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:18 am

I'm okay with a certain amount of scumming for high-level quests, but this one is kind of silly imo. It's bad enough that you practically need to get lucky with items/altars, but the fact that two out of three attempts basically starts you off in the infamous "unwinnable starting position" to begin with just gets outrageously frustrating.

Enough of my venting, though; I'm curious as to what tactics have worked for other people. Personally, I had no success at all with Human, Orc, or Elf Monks; after switching to Dwarf, however, I beat it after my third or fourth run. The damage reduction is really most helpful at low levels, and it seems like getting to level two is usually the biggest hurdle. Thoughts?
Killdozer

Postby booooooze on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:39 pm

I got through with a human. GG and gloves of midas nearby to start, and most glyphs. Explored, poisoned and mana burned, until I found a 2 I could kill. Prayed to GG for cleansing, converted junk, kept IMAWAL, killed the 2, made sure to get poisoned and mana burned again before killing a 1 to level up, took humility, rinse repeat. Found EM by level 3, converted and started clearing out plants, with some vine form where I could. Bought whurrgarbl somewhere in there, because I love it, started on Lord Gobb at 6, killed him with a level up, used the cash for a collar, got a little more DR for Itssamna, who is weak indeed. Was only 8 when I took him down, and that's all I could muster.

I had some promising Dracul runs before that, but things just didn't line up. I might go back and try a dwarf, just for "fun".

Felt a little validated when I got through the slime pit on the first try after that.

Edit: JJ Dwarf monk seems even better. Just slaughtered all the plants, took chaos avatar at level 1, and rolled on through. Took two health boosts and a mana boost, just because, and still was able to take last chance on Itssamna, potions to spare.
Last edited by booooooze on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booooooze

Postby Gorgon on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 pm

I crushed it with JJ. It wasn't even close. You get tons of piety from plants, so boost health once or twice early on. Use chaos avatar for a first boss mid fight level up, reducing Itsssama's resists to 30. Use potions for him.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons