PISORFF needs a buff! True story.

All things Desktop Dungeons

PISORFF needs a buff! True story.

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:10 am

Well, it sort of does.

The animated armors have been ported into beta the way they were in the alpha "boss hive" - a dungeon where all monsters started with boss like stats. Regular AA's had 1 HP at all levels, but big damage and death protections. It took phys damage chars too many resources to tackle them, but they were fodder for spellcasters. The way they are now gives even vets grievance, because it often takes about equal resources to take a high lvl animated armor out as it takes for a boss.

However, since PISORFF was introduced, there are more ways to take their DP's out, and one of the key sellling points of the PISORFF wizard for me was that he had a rather easy time taking them out compared to most other classes. Take their HP down, and slam them through a lot of walls. It also works if you slam them against other monsters.

Still, that strat sort of pales in comparison, still, when compared to a regen fighter (resists, halpmeh, whatever) with knocback (and you can prep that). If the resists are high enough, he can ignore the huge damage, and use knockback to take out 2 DP's at a time (once for the attack, once for the knockback). A regen fighting Sorcerer with knockback can even take 3 out (phys, mana shield, knockback). PISORFF only takes one out because it only deals the knockback damage.

Now, giving PISORFF pre-knocback damage might be a bit too good / uncodable. Making it so that you could slam one animated armor into another and make them both lose DP's would certanly make it compare more favourably with a regen fighting knockback user, and prompt at least me to use him more in dungeons like vicious Halls of Steel, which I've only ever completed with a Monk before (and other people have been complaining about that one lately, as it made unlocking the vampire way more difficult than unlocking Gorgon or Half-Dragon).

I mean, the wizards are really, really good now, conversion with orcs or trilings gives them tons of damage for PISORFF, and the mana reduction from mana leak and crystal ball has done for spells what resistance did for physical att - it lowered the cost of dealing damage. If my suggestion is codable in any way, it might prompt more people to test out just how strong the spellcasters really are.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: PISORFF needs a buff! True story.

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Buffing PISORF?! You can rip 2 Vicious dungeons with this glyph without a Crystal Ball or Mana Leak.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:10 pm

Is Pisorf really strong on races that can't pump their base damage? I've always seen people talk about how great an Orc Wizard using Pisorf is, but on the other hand unlike Fireball, Pisorf isn't a glyph that's guranteed to spawn and with my new account that doesn't have 20k gold in bank, I don't really feel like scumming repeatedly.

Also I personally find Pisorf extremely hard to use without Weytwut also, so that means additional scumming.

So overall, I agree with the premise a little. If you aren't specialized in taking advantage of it which generally require playing against stereotype anyway, Pisorf does terrible damage and is only use to break walls (and is less useful at doing that vs EndIsWal)
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 pm

If you throw down a strength potion and you have a rock heart it's 20 or so damage for 1 mana.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Check speedballs thread for my post about how I said that I'd make a thread that would be about how insanelly buff the spelcasters were these days so we don't derail his? THIS is tha thread :)

And the original post IS true, only the buff in question is a really specific one.

Also what tigernee said. Id raise his utility for when all the foolishness is toned down. And I would like a more detailed explantaion of the STR trick, I haven't seen prep potions in ages.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 pm

I forgot about the strength potion trick.

Basically the trick is that Strength Potion adds a gigantic bonus to base damage. Normally it only applies for one hit and you find a monster 2-3 levels higher than you and expend it but Pisorf DOESN'T blow the charge, so to speak. You can continuously get the extra damage from it until you decide to attack someone.
TigerKnee

Postby gjaustin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:42 pm

I was just thinking that maybe the next Transmuter redesign should use PISORF.

Something like:

+2 base damage per level, -50% damage
Starts with IMAWAL and PISORF
-33% mana cost for IMAWAL, PISORF, and ENDISWALL
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Actually that sounds great! I've been waiting for a PISORF class. And I think the strength potion should be -1 base damage when you PISORF until the potion's gone.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Indeed; until the strength potion exploit is dealt with I think it's premature to start balance work on PISORF.
Darvin

Postby harfatum on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:12 pm

It has always been strange to me that this spell is based off of physical damage. The game could do with more magical attacks as well.

What if it were something more magical - like (level * max mana/4) or (level * number of glyphs in inventory)?
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons