I can't say I agree with your point of view Darvin. I do agree that the Glyph is mostly unrepeatable on classes besides the Warlord, but I'd say it's a good thing for the following reasons:
- With high enough DMG (any Orc/Human/Halfling with conversions, Rogue w/wo conversions, Berserker -II-, anyone with a symbol, etc.) having a repeatable death protection on a glyph gives too much power for little to no investment. If you can survive one hit, an easily repeatable DP glyph gives +2X Phys damage out of nowhere to your DMG total for the boss fight just from having the glyph in your inventory and no other hassle whatsoever (besides paying 10/12 mana after the first time).
- Even if it's not repeatable, that is, if it's difficult to get more than one cydstep per fight, it just adds one more phys damage hit to a string of them that can easily include 2 from dodge/reflex porion prep (3X phys), a first strike finisher (2 glyphs, one with just 3 MP cost, rogue and assasin get one for free) (4X phys), badge of honor (you would have to find it and pay 18 gold) (5Xphys). And this means that with cydstep, getting 4 extra hits in, for a lot, is quite easy and requires little effort or investment, especially considering that it works best with conversion heavy strats, and the only thing it uses up besides mana is inventory space, and only for a while.
- A mid fight level up (or 2) can add at least one more "free" hit to that list. An orc/human/halfling assasin can easily get 2 mid-fight lvl-ups which means at least a couple more hits in, including the first strike one, and he can also exploit poison.
- Having a repeatable cydstepp, and then focusing heavily on it (besides Warlord) reduces all that effort to just scumming for the glyph AND it allows for all the extra non-MP costing ones. If a dungeon requires that much "freebie" hits - either something is wrong with that dungeon or whatever you're whacking at has big phys resists.
- I didn't factor in the fact that you can get at least one pair of potions off TT if you find him (you'd have to convert out though), and that you can recreate the effects of the old cydstepp for no mana investment to a degree with Taurog. I also didn't count Namtar's ward in there. Or Whoopaz.
- And old cydstep/blodtopowa wasn't even necessary for most stuff, the thing was quite powerfull as is. Having it be non repeatable might also reduce the need to have so many mana burn bosses around, which in turn would reduce the need to scum for Soul Orb just about everywhere, and that can only be good for the game (especially now that HALPMEH has been nerfed).
CONCLUSION: Just 2-3 free hits on the boss, with enough damage is a huge thing for quite a number of races/classes, having a glyph that gets them one more (plus one more for a mid fight lvl up) is quite fine in my opinion. Trying to allow other races to "take over" a tier 3 glyph, to be able to base their whole strategy on in leads to HALPMEH/Monks, and we all know what that looks like. Glyphs shouldn't be strategy cornerstones for classes that don't spawn with them, IMO.
PROBLEM: It HAS been nerfed, this much I agree with and needs a buff.
SOLUTION: Since it has been nerfed, how about reducing it's MP cost?
Last edited by Lujo
on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!