[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:08 am

Darvin

Postby Kuranes on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:30 am

"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:23 am

The approach here was to set myself up for an XP catapult, repeatedly getting level-ups throughout the boss fight. The goblin works well for this. Secondly, because I was playing purist I had a lot of spare inventory space that could be used on a wide variety of glyphs. As a human or elf (the other two races I normally choose for assassins) you need to immediately convert most of the glyphs you find to get the most out of their racial advantage. The goblin, however, wants to save his glyphs to for the bitter end and can therefor make good use of them across the entire game (notice I was carrying 4 glyphs - APHEELSIK, BURNDAYRAZ, CYDSTEPP, and ENDISWAL).

That's not to say there isn't a right or wrong approach. Humans and Elves are superb choices for Assassins and would have served me very well here.
Darvin

Postby Kuranes on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:56 am

Ah okay. The need to not convert immediately is something I find nice while playing, since you can wait untill you -need- that extra potion or exp. While with humans or the others you get the biggest benefit by converting at the get go, but may end up limiting yourself by not having a great variety of glyphs available later on.

And I am not looking for the "optimal" build or best way to do thing, I merely want to understand the mechanics in play. ;)
Kuranes

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Darvin

Postby Kuranes on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Being one who have only just found a few Hard levels, I don't have that many shiny locker items to play way.
Kuranes

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:28 pm

My suggestion is to complete the quest line in the Den of Danger. You will get an item called the Crystal Ball. This is one of the best locker items available, and it's particularly great for Elves. This item will pretty much carry you through the game. Aside from that, there's nothing wrong with the Fine Sword as a preparation; it's a solid and reliable standby and particularly nice for humans. Gloves of Midas aren't too shabby if you've got nothing else available; at very least you'll be able to buy items from the shops and convert them for your racial bonus.
Darvin

Postby Kuranes on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 am

I will aim at getting myself a Crystal Ball then! And agreed on the Fine Sword, preparing it and the Shield from the smith will often let you stand toe to toe against higher level foes (atleast on normal). I have however also got the TriSword which I consider the pride of my locker, especially if you play Halfling / Gnome.
Last edited by Kuranes on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuranes

Postby Kuranes on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Kuranes

Postby The Avatar on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 am

Here comes my run in Demonic Library. I chose an orc warlord, as it is an extremely easy class to beat Vicious with, and it can beat the 4 directional dungeons.

There are my preparations. Sensation Stone+Seal, Mystera Altar, 50 gold, Preservation Badge, Health, Mana, Whupaz, Schadenfreude, and Reflex Potions.

I immediately make a Beeline for Mystera's altar and begin worshiping her. I have two choices. Use CYDSTEPP on extremely high level stuff, just for piety, until I can get Mystic Balance, or just go kill stuff. I opted for the former.

Okay, here comes an interesting move. I've gained 20 more piety than necessary, so I take Mystic Balance, desecrate Dracul's altar, and then take refreshment. I don't really need the hp anyways.

This goat is going down! I will need to convert both glyphs for the refreshment bonus, but that's okay. Also, in this rare case, I'm never going to need BURNDAYRAZ.

I enjoy picking on goats, so I went ahead and slaughtered this one...

This picture looks inconsequential, but look in the top right hand corner. It's a secret subdungeon!

That's too bad, this one's useless to me.

This may look like insanity, but I'm gonna kill him. I convert both glyphs for their refreshment bonus, and he's dead. The reason I go for Aphelion is because I know I'll level off his kill. You always want to level off Aphelion to avoid being poisoned. I also bought a blue bead just in case I need it.

Time to kill the next Demonlord.

Uh oh, doesn't look good. Fortunately, if I explore two more tiles I'll get another CYDSTEPP, which is enough to kill him.

Time to kill the last of the "easy" Demonlords. The other two have either physical resist, or better hp. Also, note my higher mp. I used two shots of the magic boon to afford a third CYDSTEPP.

Always save the weakening Demonlord for last. So I'll kill the 444 hp one. I'm gonna use all my resources, and then see how much more damage I need to deal.

Just one more hit... Here's where that blue bead comes in handy. I kill 5 low-level monsters, and finish him.

Okay, time for the last one!

Well this can't be good...

Called it!

Okay, I just did a lot of things. I bought and converted all unwanted items, and I used a wicked guitar. Then I used my extra regen space to kill high level dudes to bring me closer to leveling up. Then I removed the death protections from the doom armors. Finally, time for the grand finale!

Meet The Avatar!

Those are his starting stats. Now that's a HUGE step up from hard, not even counting the 5 other bosses...

Not so strong once I quaff my whupaz now, are you? And then of course I finish off my starting hits on him.

And then I use my crystal ball for 3 more shots.

Use a mid-fight level up, and ta-da! Didn't even use a schadenfreude potion.

And there's my prize!

And voila! A no-scum 1-2 try win for The Avatar that's fail proof. Any questions?

Keep in mind the strategy will probably be removed/nerfed by friday, so get your win in while you can!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons