[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:01 am

I think it's a lot less "useless" now that every Hard dungeon has a random boss. It reduces the consequences of getting a boss like Tormented One that some classes have a lot of trouble with.

It also has interesting interactions with Vicious dungeons, like Demonic Library or Naga City that have a bunch of bosses. We could fill a thread with discussion on who to use it on in Naga City!

My only complaint about it is that it makes balancing Purist a bit more difficult.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:36 am

Yeah, purist is a harsh badge, but that's why we have Vamps. You know what's worse? Hoarder. I hate that medal with all my heart. (Although it tool me 1 try to get in Demonic Library due to a 5 mp CYDSTEPP.)

Actually, the whupaz question is quite interesting on Demonic Library. For my wins with every other class in the game (excluding Gorgon and Half-Dragon, I had different strategies for them) I abused a 5 mp fireball, fireballing the avatar to death. The problem was the 444 hp counter fireball guy. I had to whupaz him for classes that had trouble. (monks for example. You have a damage penalty, and he does magic damage.)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:11 am

Yep, he was the one I was thinking of as the alternate Whupaz choice.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:22 am

Hoarder is nasty because you're not only forgoing conversion points, but you also can't clear out inventory space!

Warmonger would be worse except that we can now effectively prepare a Taurog Berserker, so I'd agree that Hoarder is currently the most difficult badge to attain.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:50 am

Yeah, whoopaz can't be termed useless as long as there are more than one boss in a dungeon. The problem I had with it was more that it's a no-brainer prep that changed your chances of completing any run with anything. I can't take it into account for testing stuff, because you start off without it, and if it singlehandedly changes dungeons from "undoable whatsoever" to "doable", I find it a silly way to justify things being "undoable" in the first place. And since we can't talk numbers, is there a way to talk about tweaking it somehow? Seems hella impactfull...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Actually, every dungeon is doable without it. I have a purist on all 6 Vicious. But you'd make whupaz have a penalty. Maybe reduce your hp to 1 automatically? Or maybe reduce your stats? Subtratct 10 exp?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Not necessarily a penalty, maybe just reduce the numbers to make it have less of an impact. Say, if the current numbers are y/x then i'd make it y/(x+1), and see how that works out.

Or any sort of change that would help me get mileage out of it even if I forget I have it in my inventory which I did 4 out of 5 times I actually prepped it. -.-'
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Hammerfan on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Hammerfan

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:10 pm

We should probably keep the off topic stuff to a minimum in this thread. With multiple people contributing games, it's going to be pretty chaotic as is.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Perhaps we should migrate these runs to the Wiki, and then just link to them from the original post?
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons