[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sidestepper's Newbie-Friendly Annotated Playthroughs

Postby Darvin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:12 pm

What Darvin said is true, unless you're relying on TT's boons, and First Strike is a non-issue, desecrating TT in a semi-last ditch effort is a rather safe bet. If it gets you indulgences to quaff potions while worshiping Drac - perfect.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Kuranes on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:44 am

Although I don't have any annotated playthrough to show off (which I would really had liked!) I'd just like to thank you guys for giving me insight into the game. Today I beat 2 HARD dungeons (complicated tasks 4 & 5) in a row. Something I could only hope to do earlier.

In the Rock Garden I were a Sorcerer and had a rather easy time. I worshipped no gods, and after I defeating the magical resist boss (my random boss were a Slime), I got me a Mage Plate and that along with a Burndayraz and a Crystal Ball made short work of the two others.

And just now I completed the Berserker Camp (something I haven't done before!) with a warmongring Sorcerer, I thought of it as being crazy, due to his mana focused traits, but I realised I could utalise the high Mana by bringing a Strenght Potion (and buy more later on) and simply get high resist to take advantage of the Mana Shield. In that run I do however consider myself a bit lucky. I managed to find Taurog next to the entrance and I quickly picked up Wereward and Skullpicker (which is a nice addition to my prepped Shield and Fine Sword), a little longer in I found the pactmaker and picked the Warrior's Pact and then I found Dracul and fluidly converted to him with my rather large stack of piety. Both bosses went down easily (bonus one were the warlock) to my high damage and health and with both Sanguine, Strength Potions, and piety for atleast 2 Blood Swells I were golden... I think a Badge of Honour were also involved somewhere along the line.

I figure Magma Mines will be next. ;)
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Zawk on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 pm

How is a newbie supposed to kill a 400 HP boss? Specifically the Western Jungle. That boss seems very anti-anything-but-wizard. I've been trying to follow the steps in the guide here, despite it producing a game vastly different from the alpha, but I can't seem to beat any dungeon due to the extreme hit points the bosses have.

Is it just that the game works for only one type of playstyle, slow & methodical, and the others need not apply? Rushing through worked fine in the alpha and you could finish a dungeon pretty fast, which is what I find odd.
Zawk

Postby dislekcia on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:14 pm

The Western Jungle is a fighter-centric area, what makes you feel that the boss needs a Wizard? Perhaps we can do something more to hint at good classes for those starting areas, although the quests there do require specific classes, right?

To be fair, DD is a bit of a more considered game - chances are if you're playing through really fast, you're probably going to be wasting at least some of the limited resources in each dungeon. How have you been playing the alpha? Hearing about different playstyles is always informative, although I must admit that the game is set up as a puzzle and not an action game ;)

Also, 400hp isn't on the big side. The later bosses can get quite a bit beefier...
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Quite beefier indeed...

Although he raises a point about the game losing its coffee break style a bit. It's an interesting debate.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:41 pm

400 hit points is almost nothing. A high-level character who has focused on attack power will casually hit for 80 damage. That's 5 hits to kill a boss. A reflex potion and quicksilver potion in combination are two free hits on their own. A mere 70 piety with Tikki Tooki is effectively an auto-win against bosses this fragile..

The game definitely has a steep learning curve, and I'll grant that it takes time to learn the combos and approaches that work. Don't get discouraged; there are so many tricks to learn and ways to become a better player.
Darvin

Postby Kuranes on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 pm

"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby The Avatar on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Totally. The harder hard dungeons way outclass any realistic (non-obscene luck) challenges. The full version really ups the intensity.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:31 pm

I have collected images for a minimalist Western Forest run. I'll hack them together into a playthrough, but it will probably be a few days before I can do that. Rereading Zawk's comments, this may have been the wrong approach. I eschewed virtually all of the in dungeon resources to keep things nice and general, but this also required very exacting play on my part. I might do a few roflstomp-the-dungeon games where I tackle a Normal dungeon using all of the shops and altars available to me. they are less complicated in a certain sense, since they have so much more room for error.
Sidestepper

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons