[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Thoughts on Strategic Alter Unlocks

Thoughts on Strategic Alter Unlocks

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Thoughts on Strategic Alter Unlocks

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:36 am

As you make pacts with the gods, the pactmaker answers.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby subanark on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:40 am

Really though, to avoid power gamers from avoiding to unlock dieties, the system for alters appearing should be:
3 alters each pick a different god, even if you haven't unlocked it. If a god is pick that isn't unlocked, then that alter doesn't appear.

That or there should be a completion bonus for getting all alters that can't be passed up.
subanark

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:23 pm

I like subnark's idea, except that pulling zero altars would be devestating.make it guarentee one, and then it sounds good.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby subanark on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:46 pm

If having 0 alters before you get too far in the game is devestating, then the alters are either too important, or the game is too hard that early on. When you have more alters getting 0 is bad luck in the same way that getting the 3 alters that aren't helpful for the current dungeon is bad luck.
subanark

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

But when you get your shiny new gods, you want to try them out. If they don't spawn you can't try them.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Beginners do need time to experiment with each god as they're unlocked. This system would make deific appearance quite sporadic until you've got most of them unlocked, which would be akin to dumping too much on the player at once.
Darvin

Postby subanark on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:46 pm

subanark

Postby Halion on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:08 pm

I had been considering an idea similar to Subanark's, only have the altars appear, but be unususable to make it clear there were things to unlock.

I was thinking that, in order to assist learning, have only unlocked altars appear in the central normal dungeons (as happens now: If you've only got Tarog, he always appears), and only unlocked altars and the altars associated with that direction appear in directional normal dungeons (So you sometimes see Glowing Guardian and Dracul in the east, even before you unlock them, but they won't help you).

But once you got to hard+ dungeons, all altars would appear, and the risk of facing locked altars would become a factor.

In order to assist people who are unfamiliar with them, meditating on a locked altar would give a hint as to where to search for it. (eg: "The markings on this altar are similar to some found in dungeons to the east of your kingdom.")

This would allow strategic altar unlocking in Den of Danger, etc, but those dungeons have so many viable strategies that it would be pretty unimportant.
Halion

Postby subanark on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Yea, I'd see it as good if my design only applied to hard (and harder) dungeons. I'm thinking that maybe some dungeons have a certain alter for a god always for certain dungeons. Locked alters could give a minor description as a hint to who it belongs too ("This alter is covered with vines"). Possibly allowing desecration of these locked ones.
subanark

Postby gjaustin on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:53 pm

gjaustin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons