[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - My thoughts about the game

My thoughts about the game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: My thoughts about the game

Postby eskimoparade on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:56 am

im new at the game and struggling, and it seems like there was a recent spike in difficulty mid play, but i say keep it hard. this is supposed to be hard, rougelike hard, and i enjoy it.

the dungeons would be very easy if there were not missions, because trisword halflings + half the classes is generally enough to get my wins everywhere, but the mission restrictions can be murder, and really force me to think outside the box
eskimoparade

Postby Lujo on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 pm

I've argued before that most of the "difficulty" or "learning curve issues" come from keeping facts obscure (like god information nad such). Well, from keeping a lot of informations obscure and hard to get good at (you can't "practice" gods easily) and getting most of the feedback from guys who've somehow learned and shared all the informations.

And the info will be available in the final version, and it will reduce the difficulty of the game by several 100%. Just knowing what is out there turns the game from difficult to rather easy very quickly, apart from vicious challenges.

I think this "codex" needs testing itself - to see how much it helps.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Yeah, I liked the game when I was a new player. It was fun, hard, espicially back then, and a good fun challenge. Funny thing is that I didn't have any trouble with gods. I played the alpha, so I knew the very basic premise of what they liked and didn't, but I only got my inventory removed once, and only killed by desecrations twice.

Also, a lot of the challenge of the game is knowing the right class for the right mission. (like how you need to bring a balanced character to beat rock garden).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:13 pm

It was a bad example. But you get my point. I mean you need a class with staying power for the indomitable...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Now that he's only got 10 levels of DP on the hard-mode level, I'm not so sure about that, either. With hard HoS, Magma Mines, and Slime Pit all toned down, there's really nothing in that sub-vicious category anymore.

The solution to deities may be to raise the maximum number of alters per level to 4 (thus giving the Crusader a 5th alter). This would make four alters chosen from 9 deities very competitive with two alters chosen from 4 deities. This also might actually make "Heretic" worthwhile...
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm always for more altars! But that would be an impressive +40 piety for Crusaders...

And your right about HoS, but my point still stands.

The Avatar

Postby valcamo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:19 am

In my (short) experience of the beta, the first levels are very good and well balanced.
You really feel like all levels could be beaten with any class, with a little or no preparation: it was fun.

Now, the later levels seems almost impossible. Maybe it's only me, maybe I don't have enough patience.
While the normal levels can be completed in 10/20 minutes, I found that hard levels requires me to think more and more about my possible moves: this means that a level requires me more that 30/40 minutes to reach the final boss with adequate preparation, but most of the times it's useless and I cannot complete it.

This has drained the fun from the game.
The game that started to be a 10-minute break, has become an exercise in frustration.

How can you, as developers, solve this problem of balancing the game for novice and veteran players?
Some suggestions:

a) A difficulty setting Easy/Normal/Hard/Vicious that you must select when creating the profile (so the player can start again and lower the difficulty if the game is too hard or raise it if he/she think the game is too easy).
b) A easy/normal difficulty for most maps. Then you unlock a new preparation "Dark portal" or something similar, that when taken will raise the difficulty of the dungeon entered.
c) Just keep the game as it is but introduce more powerful items: veterans will try to beat the game purist, while all other mortals will not bother about that badge.
d) Hard levels may give initial boons/preparations to the player: for example the "Shifting corridor" has the player start with a 20% knockback or a small-space endiswal. You can forfait this bonus in exchange for a 100% boss reward or similar.
valcamo

Postby Darvin on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Darvin

Postby valcamo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:23 pm

valcamo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons