[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - My thoughts about the game

My thoughts about the game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: My thoughts about the game

Postby The Avatar on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 pm

Yeah, the game is significantly hard without the dragon shield. If you're stuck on the hard bosses, try resists.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:59 pm

Any specific hard dungeon that's giving you trouble? I've been looking for good options for demonstration games.
Sidestepper

Postby valcamo on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:43 am

valcamo

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:01 am

For Shifting Passages, try playing as a Goblin Assassin. Focus on killing higher-level monsters so the passages close in on you slower, and avoid converting stuff until you start fighting the bosses. By the time you start the boss battle most of the remaining monsters should be easily killed by your swift hands. All that extra XP should give you a few mid-battle level-ups. Take the "smuggler's den" preparation for an extra sub-dungeon. Evolvia teleports, you have to explore pretty much all of the top-level before you start fighting him. By leaving the sub-dungeons completely unexplored, that allows you to use poison to fight him.

For labyrinth, I'd recommend an Elf Wizard (crystal ball preparation and smuggler's den). If you can find the BLUDTUPOWA or ENDISWAL glyph you're in luck. Focus on fighting monsters a few levels higher than yourself and conserving exploration. For the boss, just keep smacking him with burning attacks. He has superb damage, but his hit points are sub-par and he has no magic resists. He'll fall if you just keep blasting him with magic as you build up damage. If you have enough tiles left to explore, you won't even need potions.

Magma Mines with Complicated Task 6 is the hardest challenge in the game outside of the vicious levels. I think your best approach is to use BURNDAYRAZ's new burning effect on the physical-immune boss (again, if you can combo this with BLUDTUPOWA and Crystal Ball you're golden). If you are able to level up fast enough and leave tiles to explore during your fight with the first boss, you should be set up to take down the second boss. Remember that the Glowing Guardian has virtually no downside since you aren't going to be using potions anyways (use absolution to turn low-level enemies into juicy HP, but remember to convert BLUDTUPOWA if you're using that!), and that non-healing and non-mana potions can be used here, so stock up on strength and schadenfreude potions.
Darvin

Postby valcamo on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks Darvin.
I will try as soon as possible, if only Unity will stop crashing Chrome just before completing the levels...

P.S.: Shifting passages done with goblin assassin (had to unlock goblin first).
valcamo

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:59 am

Darvin

Postby fall_ark on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:44 am

fall_ark

Postby GG Crono on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm a long-time fan. I played the everloving crap out of the Alpha version, and in the early stages of the beta, I found myself going along at a nice clip. But with the higher-end dungeons and challenges... well. My ability to have fun is being strained a bit, I must admit. I've never beat a vicious dungeon. Even some of the higher-leveled hard ones. Strategies for things seem to revolve around preparing rewards from other challenges I can't beat, and a good starting point for all this never seems to present itself.

That said, I don't at all regret giving these dudes my money. They work really hard on this project, and the hard work shows. But I do believe that there's some work to be done on the difficulty curve here. :)
GG Crono

Postby q 3 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:21 pm

You know, I'm not sure that the vicious dungeons in the beta are all that much harder than the hardest challenges in the alpha - in fact, outside of some of the more hilariously broken alpha strategies, I don't think there's anything in the beta that can compare to a high level gauntlet or the Boss Hive. It's just that the ridiculously hard stuff in the alpha is very carefully locked away, such that you need to beat easier stuff literally dozens of times before it's even accessible. In the beta, you can get a vicious dungeon after less than half a dozen victories (excluding the tutorial).

It might be worth considering putting the vicious dungeons behind some loftier unlock requirements. Like, it wouldn't be possible to get to a vicious dungeon without making substantial progress along all four directions, as opposed to just one direction like you can do right now. And perhaps there should actually be quests for the vicious dungeons, which explicitly warn the player that they are going to get their butt kicked. Maybe have different colored flags for those quests to indicate their "optional" nature.
q 3

Postby valcamo on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:50 pm

With the latest update I was able to beat both Shifting passages and The Labyrinth, so I think that the developers are going in the right direction OR I'm improving my skills (or both).
valcamo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons