[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Postby booooooze on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:44 am

Whurrgarbl buff is a huge monk buff, no?
booooooze

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:02 am

Martyr Wraps + Whurrgarbl... sounds like a pleasant (though not overpowering) combo.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:41 am

Haha, I was excited when I thought Dwarves converted for resists. Turns out it was DR.

And we all know how awesome Earthmother's DR is at later levels right? (note: This sentence is sarcasm)

Maybe stacking DR?

Anyway, don't really know what else to say. Tri-sword (over?) nerf means I can't use Halfling Wizards anymore... lame!

I sort of like the Assassin's Poisoned Blade buff conceptually but I don't really get much use out of it. Still, people are willing to stack old Burning Heart at 6, so 7 should be okay.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 am

Since the penalty is off Martyr Wraps, they are a better Whurrgaburgle. It doesn't go away if you damage other monsters, and it can stack past monster level x 3. Unless that cap is gone...

Also, the new Namtar is HARD... Form 1 has 50% physical, although he blinks no more, and form 2 has 50% magical... and 168 damage... I really dunno how to win now...

EDIT: Actually, a BURNDAYRAZ elf Mystera Wizard could probably do it. With mana leak and a crystal ball. Use weakening with remaining piety on form 2. Or whupaz if you can manage a death protection.

EDIT 2: Ugh... counter fireball is on his later forms, right? (Please say they changed that... Pleeeeeeeease)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:23 am

Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:29 am

I don't really see any great use for Dwarves, except maybe as Dracul-worshiping Blood Mages who strive for near invincibility (but their realistic upper limit is probably no more than ~60 damage reduction + lifesteal even with absurdly specialized tactics, which is nice but won't take you very far in hard dungeons, never mind vicious). Otherwise all you really have is easier level ups at first, and while I haven't done the math I doubt they can compete with Goblins on that front.

Speaking of Bloodmages, the increased reliance on bloodpools is a nasty nerf in vicious dungeons, where he was already at his weakest. If you don't have access to bloodpools, you literally have nothing except a sometimes-useful glyph. Not really sure what was so bad about their original incarnation...

I also don't quite get why Assassins got what is a fairly large buff - particularly when the change to BURNDAYRAZ is already a buff that they can make much better use of than most other classes. Forget Wizards, Elf Assassins of Mystera are now absurdly powerful magic-regen-fighters; just add BLUDTOPOWA and you've got yourself a win button. I just took down Shifting Sands (with Iron Man!) on my first attempt, purist, without the slightest bit of difficulty. (Remember: corrosion applies to fireball damage! I think.)

The change to Transmuters is interesting, at least. My first impression is that they're really only going to be useful with Orcs, and only on a conversion-heavy maxed out preparation run at that, since you'll need to compensate for the -50% damage (among other things). No other race has anything that can really compensate for the gimped stats, except perhaps Dwarves (but then Dwarves have their own problems). They could probably stand to have their ENDISWAL cost reduced to 4 or even 3, at least, and then reduce the bonus per cast to 5%.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:38 am

True, it's prestackable.

Namtar is giving me serious trouble now. Especially since there are no CYDSTEPP combos... Ugh...

But Yeah, I like the transmuter concept, but it's awful right now. Although a 150% bonus conversion stone does sound nice...

As for bloodmage, they are now great with resists. Troll heart and resists and you're doing great...

On yet another note, JJ is super for rogues. I got +75 hp, and brought Avarar Symbol. Still can't take a hit from Namtar form 2...

Any tips on rogue damage boosting? I haven't been able to get a very good amount with the new Tri-sword....
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 am

Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:25 am

Strength Potions got a pretty big nerf, beyond the PISORF issue - they now only grant +1 base damage per mana, which is half what they used to. Necessary, I suppose, now that it's possible to get 4 (!) in a single dungeon, but probably their cost should be reduced quite a bit to compensate. Somewhere in the 5-10 gold range is probably appropriate given its niche, one-shot use that isn't terribly powerful in most circumstances.

Interestingly, Namtar's corpse (after phase 2) no longer spawns on top of the corrosion pool, since he drops a gold pile.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:10 am

Unless you drew horrible shops, I find that the gold is well worth a point of corrosion. Namtar is a high damage/low HP boss so we're talking less than a 1% damage increase from his perspective. If you can get anything useful with the gold, it's worth your time.

So the strength potion has been nerfed... it'll be much tougher to use now. It always took a degree of planning the other potions didn't require since it would deplete your mana. Now that the kick isn't as big, I'm not completely sure it's worth it unless you can freely explore to recharge your mana. As a one-shot deal at the start of the battle (like WHUPAZ) that works, but using multiples strength potions in battle was tough to pull off effectively.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to play as an Orc Crusader, prep the Avatar's Symbol, get four strength potions, convert everything, then 1-hit a boss as a level 1 character.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons