[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Replace it with Namtar's Ward ;)

I'd go with Fine Sword or Flame Heart.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:31 am

Just playing with some numbers and wanted to note that the change to HALPMEH is a subtle buff to Sorcerers, relative to other classes, and a less subtle nerf to Wizards. Previously, a Sorcerer recovered 12 HP per MP spent on HALPMEH, versus 10 HP per MP for other classes, i.e. his HALPMEH was 120% more MP efficient. Now, a Sorcerer gets 9.5 HP per MP, versus 7.5 for other classes, which is 127% more efficient. On the other hand, a Wizard has gone from 15 HP per MP, 150% more efficient, to 10 HP per MP, which is "only" 133% more efficient. Wizard still has the most efficient HALPMEH, but not by nearly as wide a margin as before, and Sorcerers have closed nearly all of the gap (add in the Sorcerer's extra max MP, mana shield, and lack of damage penalty and I'd say they're now pretty clearly the best at HALPMEH despite the Wizard's slight edge in raw fuel economy). The Crystal Ball tilts the balance way back in favor of Wizards, of course (I think - I haven't ever actually bothered unlocking it, so I don't know if it still works for a Wizard with HALPMEH - if not, they've been nerfed even more thoroughly than I thought).

With the nerf to HALPMEH, and the fact that Berserkers are now the only class with magic resistance, I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to give Paladins a slight buff in the form of limited magic resistance. Maybe at the cost of some physical resistance. 20% phys / 15% mag? 20% both? That would go well with Vampires getting a magical attack (which I personally don't like all that much - it makes more storytelling sense for Wraiths to have the magic attack, and that makes things fairer for Berserkers anyway, but whatever)
q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:45 am

It's not really a buff is it, since the Sorcerer will still heal more efficently with old 3 mana Halpmeh. It's more accurate to say his Halpmeh got nerfed less than others.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:21 am

Darvin

Postby Summerwine on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:06 am

I'm surprised more people don't use the piercing wand, since dropping an enemy's resistances into the negatives synergizes quite well with the new fireball effect. Is the +1 mana cost really that debilitating? It doesn't seem so bad if you're a gnome or have BLUDTOPOWA.

The things that hurts the fireball the most with this new patch is the change in how mana potions work on Bloodmages, imo.
Summerwine

Postby q 3 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:12 am

q 3

Postby q 3 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:06 am

Whoever had the brilliant idea of giving the Matron 50% magic resist, I just want you to know, I am very grumpy because of you. I was this close to a purist victory in there, until I saw the horrible, evil thing you did with her. :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: And if I want to unlock the Piercing Wand so I can actually beat her, then I need to unlock Doubledoom, and if I want to unlock Doubledoom then I need to unlock all three third tier classes, which unlocks their glyphs, which pretty much ruins my BURNDAYRAZ/APHEELSIK/BLUDTOPOWA profile and turns it into yet another scum-to-win profile. EVIL. :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil:
q 3

Postby Darvin on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:07 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 pm

OUCH! Well, now what the heck are you supposed to get two wins with?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:22 pm

gjaustin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons