[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Preparations

Preparations

All things Desktop Dungeons

Preparations

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:36 pm

A lot of the game's preparations still need work. They're either overshadowed by better options or are nothing more than novelties with no practical application. I'd like to make a couple of suggestions:

Bet on the Boss
With its payout benefit greatly diminished and a hefty 50 gold charge to prep it, this has become largely useless. I'd like to propose this change:

One extra boss (randomly chosen) is created on the level. This boss has normal unboosted stats, regardless of which level it is used on.

A weaker boss can actually be a benefit to a player, giving a nice source of easy bonus XP and also dropping gold that can be used on shops to aid the fight against the other bosses.

Black Market:
Now that there's a 50-gold prep, multiple bosses grant extra gold, and there's an alchemy scroll to convert stuff into gold, and there's still Gloves of Midas and Tikki Tooki's boons, this is seriously overshadowed. I'd propose that in addition to its current effect it also do the following:

One "Black Market" shop will appear, allowing you to purchase one of your locker items of your choice (similar to the apothecary) at double its normal price. Translocation scrolls do not work here.

Scout: Player:
Now that this is the only scout preparation left in the game, it can just be renamed "Scout". With Scout: Alter removed it no longer has any thematic ties to the Church, either. The only reason it's still here is that the church is otherwise pretty sparse. I'd recommend moving it to the Thief Den.

Holy Diver:
This has always been a novelty with no practical application. Maybe if the alter would spawn beside the dungeon entrance it might be a fun thing to try now again, but really I'd prefer it to get scrapped and replaced by something that is useful. The bottom line is that preps should give you more control, not less. The entire reason people did strategic alter unlocking is because we felt we had insufficient control over which gods we got to worship, and we want preps to help us in that regard.

Indulgence:
Much too niche; it's rare I ever need this, much less can predict ahead of time that I will. With most deities, if you anger them once you're probably going to anger them again so this isn't of much help. I'd say get rid of it and clear the way for more useful preps.

Heretic:
While 25 piety is a nice bonus to have, and it's no longer overshadowed by the flat 25 piety boon, it greatly reduces your chance of getting a favorable alter, which is already the biggest luck factor. I only ever use this for a Crusader, where losing one out of four alters is an acceptable trade, but I still rarely do so because losing alters is just horrible.

This is my opinion: Either raise the number of alters in a dungeon up to 4 (with the Crusader at 5) or scrap this preparation. Right now, we have too few alters to seriously consider have one of them randomly removed.

Some Suggestions for Church Preps:
The church is a bit sparse currently, and most (or even all) of its preps should either be migrated elsewhere or removed. Without doing anything overly complicated, here's one suggestion that would be much appreciated:

Alter Boy: One extra alter appears in the dungeon, but desecrating alters grants only 20 piety rather than 25.

Mage Tower:
I'd really like to see the Mage Tower get converted into a glyph locker, allowing me to actually choose a glyph I want and bring it into the dungeon with me. The ability to actually make glyph combos with T3 classes would be awesome, and there are many class-specific strategies that require you to find your chosen glyph early or go home (Orc Wizards and PISORF, anyone?) that could really benefit from the removed scumming. If this is done, the booster swap preparations could be moved to the Church, which needs more preparations.
Darvin

Re: Preparations

Postby Murdus on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:57 pm

This... makes perfect sense. That is all.
Murdus

Postby The Avatar on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:51 pm

I really want a glyph locker. That would kill almost all scumming.

How about the church preps just having all the gods in a nine-array (like witch hut) and you can guarantee that 1 (or 2 if you raise it to 4 altars per dungeon).

At level 2 you could buy up to 4 on your array, but only from the gods you unlocked, and for level 3 you can buy 4 more. Pactmaker is granted as long as he's unlocked and you have a level 3 church.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:57 am

gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:13 am

If you're really that strapped for cash even with black market, then you'd be sacrificing many of the items you're buying from apothecaries or other shops to afford the double-cost black market items. If you think it's really bad, then exclude artifacts from the list of items that can be sold. Other than artifacts, it's not like these are items that couldn't appear elsewhere.
Darvin

Postby Fran on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:23 am

Fran

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:57 am

So you want generalist items, not things only one guy wants
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:29 am

Thanks Darvin, you saved me the trouble of writing a lot of those up. Preparations have and always been very iffy balanced throughout the Beta and everyone basically jumps from the only usable ones (cough Scout Altar) to other usable ones once they are eventually nerfed to close to nothingness

Anyone remember the old powerhouse Smuggler's Den? Speaking of which, they should re-add the old functionality in the E3 demo to it (where it has multiple stairs to let you travel around the dungeon)
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:31 am

I loved the old smugglers den. It was HUGE!!!!

Anyways, you could make it pull all the shops into the subdungeon instead of power ups and level 1's. Then the name would really fit, and it would make scumming easier/reduce scumming, which is the purpose of Preps.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:53 am

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons